Talk

Advanced search

anyone in london seen an ad for fire service recruitment?

(18 Posts)
moonshaddow Mon 22-May-06 14:11:22

dh is wanting to try out but job ads are in local london papers only, not on the internet, the recruitment campaign starts today for two weeks, if anyone has seen the ad could you give me the details please!

if not, could you name some local papers in london so that I can investigate

thanks

arfy Mon 22-May-06 14:16:36

that's annoying isn't it!

I will look in our local paper.
there's a list of London papers here

moonshaddow Mon 22-May-06 14:31:22

wow thanks!

moonshaddow Mon 22-May-06 17:17:25

anyone else?

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 17:20:28

Message withdrawn

SecondhandRose Mon 22-May-06 17:22:04

He'll only get in if he's a blind, gay Muslim.... Ducks.

FeelingOld Mon 22-May-06 17:36:52

Dh is a firefighter (not London),his mate is a firefighter in London brigade, he has just sent him a text to see if he can give him any info for you (he is on tour at the moment so if on a shout it could take a long time to get a reply).

southeastastra Mon 22-May-06 17:57:47

Aren't they advertising in Cosmopolitan now for women?

Good luck to all striking fireman although we had no cover at weekend!

FeelingOld Mon 22-May-06 18:35:49

Just had a text back, application forms can only be accessed via local papers, stations have no details.
Good luck to your dh moodshaddow.

moonshaddow Mon 22-May-06 18:40:20

the London fire service has a website, we have been watching the recruitment pages for ages, they have just posted an advert on there for their advertising campaign (?) they have specified on there that you have to find the adverts which are in some local papers in london in order to express interest, then you are given details on how to apply after that. They make it really hard in the first instance because they have so many people apply that they only want people who want it bad enough!

really appreciate your help, thank you all.

FeelingOld Mon 22-May-06 18:58:20

Last time they were recruiting round here, they were limiting the application forms to 2000. They opened the phone lines for the applications at 8am and they were all gone by approx 10am. Once the application forms are in they do a 'first sift' where they get rid of 90% of applications (so filling in the form correctly is very important), the other 10% get to the next stage. At the end of the very long process of medicals, fitness tests, aptitude tests, breathing apparatus tests etc there was only 20 posts on offer.
Don't know if this is how they do it in London, but there will be a huge amount of applicants for the available posts.
Keep trying, it is a great career, my dh loves his job.

southeastastra Mon 22-May-06 19:02:59

Sorry to jump on thread but round here they are closing fire stations, these men are experience firefighters wouldn't they be offered jobs first? They could prob keep station open for the same costs as ad campaign.

moonshaddow Mon 22-May-06 19:13:36

where are you based?

southeastastra Mon 22-May-06 19:30:09

Hertfordshire

SecondhandRose Mon 22-May-06 20:09:58

Two stations closing near to Bishops Stortford, drove past on Sat and they were outside saying is this station next.

southeastastra Mon 22-May-06 20:12:13

I can't understand it. We were left with no cover saturday until 10pm. No army cover either wtf is going on?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 22-May-06 21:17:27

Possible strike action in Staffs too. Just been averted last week whilst there are more talks. The rural areas here are due to lose 3 engines under the guise of Mr Prescott's 'modernisation'. No job losses as such just no recruitment.
Most areas are undermanned. My dh has loads of time off in leiu to take but there's no manning so he can't take it.

moonshaddow Tue 23-May-06 20:23:36

just bumping to see if anyone has noticed any ads yet?, -I'm still looking with no luck at all...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: