Talk

Advanced search

Soldiers to get life in jail ...

(12 Posts)
peacedove Sun 21-May-06 13:28:49

for refusing to act as occupiers.

GERRI PEEV
POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

SOLDIERS who object to taking part in a military occupation of a foreign country will face life in prison under measures due to be rubber-stamped in the House of Commons on Monday.

The little-noticed Armed Forces Bill will have its third reading in the Commons on Monday and left-leaning MPs are alarmed that it will legitimise pre-emptive military strikes.

see life for soldiers

suzywong Sun 21-May-06 13:33:42

to get your toilet to sparkle use a combination of white vinegar, bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice and a stiff wire brush

HTH

fuzzywuzzy Sun 21-May-06 13:34:41

Sw, wrong thread I think ....

suzywong Sun 21-May-06 13:34:58

titter

Blandmum Sun 21-May-06 13:37:37

Wow suzy, that is a whole new way to make sure that a thread kicks off!

suzywong Sun 21-May-06 13:38:18

well it's going to happen may as well get it out of the way

fuzzywuzzy Sun 21-May-06 13:48:11

But then what's the point of joining the army as a soldier, surely if one is going to be a concientious objector to militay action one would not sign up as soldier to begin with....

A bit like me refusing to number crunch although I have signed a contract to be an accountant, that would be grounds for dismissal wouldn't it.????

fuzzywuzzy Sun 21-May-06 13:48:53

Btw Nice to see you Back Pd

Blandmum Sun 21-May-06 13:54:27

It sort of depend Fuzzy. Under military law if you don't follow an order you can be put on trial. If you feel that you have been ordered to do something illegal, you do it, you may later be put on trial for, say crimes against Humanity (or something similar).

So while you might join an army in good concience, to defend your home land, later you may be asked to do something that you cannot do, in good concience.

If You follow your concience, you get tried. If you go along, 'I was jusy following orders' has not been recognised auring post conflict legal cases.

So a soldier in the German Army, possibly a conscript could be shot for not following orders. Or later could be tried for crimes against humanity.

It is a rock and a hard place type situation.

peacedove Sun 21-May-06 13:56:13

The idea is that soldiers volunteer for defending their country. I doubt there would be any volunteers for military occupation of other people's land. This law would make a "defender volunteer army" into one "forced to occupy".

Blandmum Sun 21-May-06 13:57:06

But at prest PD, that doesn't exsist.

Welcome back btw

peacedove Sun 21-May-06 13:59:55

nice to be back. I think your point about the soldiers getting damned if they do and damned if they don't is quite valid.

It is a bad law the government wants. Needs to be defeated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: