Talk

Advanced search

our local rag cant call people " oriental" can it now?

(22 Posts)
cod Thu 18-May-06 09:24:59

Message withdrawn

bluejelly Thu 18-May-06 09:33:11

No! V old-fashioned if you ask me.

Miriam2 Thu 18-May-06 09:42:14

No. And meaningles anyway 'of the East'- could be anywhere!

iota Thu 18-May-06 09:49:22

here's an interisting discussion on the subject

bluejelly Thu 18-May-06 09:55:25

Oriental rug is okay, as your discussion suggests. Also oriental cooking, fine.
Oriental people or, even worse, orientals = not okay.

Rhubarb Thu 18-May-06 09:56:08

someone is taking the piss - eh cod?

zippitippitoes Thu 18-May-06 10:01:10

presumably they were trying to avoid offense not knowing which country they came from..probably British anyway

NotQuiteCockney Thu 18-May-06 10:04:07

"East Asian" is a better word, I'd think. (I'd also say "South Asian" instead of "Asian" for people from India and neighbouring countries, but I'm funny like that.)

cod Thu 18-May-06 10:11:52

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 18-May-06 10:12:14

Message withdrawn

tissy Thu 18-May-06 10:18:05

I'm afraid I have used the term "oriental" to describe a person of approximately East Asian extraction, whose precise area of origin I haven't been able to discern from either their name or appearance. BUT I agree the racial origin of the people escaping the fire is irrelevant (unless there is an implication that there were insufficient fire notices in a language they could understand). Have I covered myself enough, or should I leave now in the sure and certain knowledge that i am a racist?

foxinsocks Thu 18-May-06 10:19:26

I find it strange that papers do that here (use a racially descriptive term when it's not necessary for the story)

bluejelly Thu 18-May-06 10:21:45

My local paper had a big story about a paedophile with a headline along the lines of 'gay man in paedophile shock'

His sexual orientation was irrelavant if you ask me, he was first and foremost a pervert

zippitippitoes Thu 18-May-06 10:22:37

the where they are from point usual carries the message that they were exploited/overcrowded/deprived/illegal doesn't it without actually saying so, doesn't it..or it's just padding

poppadum Thu 18-May-06 10:31:17

What really annoys me is the way "Asian" is used by the media and government to lump everyone from Japan to India in one large lazy category. I bet British people would be annoyed if they were lazily described as "European".

Completely irrelevant here, I think, unless they were actually illegal immigrants being exploited or overcrowded.

cod Thu 18-May-06 10:51:43

Message withdrawn

zippitippitoes Thu 18-May-06 10:53:18

the journalist is probably an old school lazy beer bellied type with greasy hair

cod Thu 18-May-06 10:58:14

Message withdrawn

zippitippitoes Thu 18-May-06 10:59:41

How embarrassing I don't know where that came from..I'm appalled at myself

cod Thu 18-May-06 13:07:38

Message withdrawn

zippitippitoes Thu 18-May-06 13:15:31

it's actually quite common usage you'll enjoy this article cod

<<If our terminology falls short, even organisations such as the Commission for Racial Equality cannot get it quite right. Their 2004 report into ethnic minorities in football carries categories for white, black, Asian, and mixed race. A final column is titled 'Chinese & Other'. So where would you put Nourredine Naybet (Morocco) and Mido (Egypt), for example? Does 'Chinese & Other' include Koreans, Egyptians, Japanese, Iranians?>>

starshaker Thu 18-May-06 13:26:50

poppadom you said we wouldnt like it if we were classed as european but what about british as far as im concerned im scottish not british. but anyway they often describe the person in the paper as white male or back etc but not sure about oriental m not up to speed about whats "allowed" anymore

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: