Talk

Advanced search

Find out if you are more likely to get cancer. Would you?

(3 Posts)
mumnosbest Wed 03-Apr-13 09:33:51

In the next 5 years there will be a simple swab test that tells you wether you are genetically prone to cancer or not. Would you really want to know? Imagine spending your life waiting for it. However it could be a good thing to be more aware , checking and catch it early.
Not sure I'd want to know. Would you?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Wed 03-Apr-13 09:43:24

I don't think I'd want to know to be honest. I'd like to think that I'd be strong enough to make the most of every day and not have it take over my life but I'm not sure I would be.

Checking yourself regularly is an important factor in catching it early but what if someone was told they weren't genetically more likely? If it stopped them doing regular checks of their body could t that lead to it never being picked up til too late?

We are all dying I'm really not sure if I'd want to know how and why right now and live with that fear for what could be ever.

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 03-Apr-13 10:40:28

I think that I would.
I worry already as my Dad's Mum died young from cancer when my Dad was 13. (not sure what type but I think either ovarian or cervical).
But I think about having cancer everyday and worry about leaving my boys behind. I have thought about asking about having a test and paying for it privately.

But I need to sort out my lifestyle and lose some weight in order to reduce one of the risk factors!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now