Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of the story of the 35 stone mum who had her ds taken off her?

(15 Posts)
CuriousMama Sat 20-Oct-12 23:12:09

Apologies if it's already in a thread?

Here's the story.

I'm torn as I think maybe she should've been supported more rather than taking him straight off her? She's done so well losing weight. I wonder why, now she's a size 16, he's still not with her?

It's probably just like any addiction that's life threatening, I suppose? I know people who have drink or drugs problems and they've lost their dcs, or almost lost them.

I just find this very sad. It's good that he's with family now though.

This is in parenting too but seems to not show?

I think there must be more to the story. The weight would be a concern but not a reason, there are many obese parents.

I wonder how much ss involvement there was before the incident either the drink?

seeker Sat 20-Oct-12 23:37:23

Three will be more to this.

CuriousMama Sat 20-Oct-12 23:37:27

Yes a friend's very obese mum used to have her dcs all the time from a very young age. She was in a wheelchair but managed.

Birdsgottafly Sun 21-Oct-12 12:52:11

She caused an accident in which another child was burned, when SW's went in the house was squalid.

She admits that she didn't meet her sons care needs.

There will then be reasons why she hasn't had him returned to her care, missed meetings, not following the plan put together etc.

Her weight was a symptom of her depression, not the reason why she lost residency of her son.

edam Sun 21-Oct-12 13:32:41

Very sad case indeed. At least her son is with her Mother, so she can still see him. I hope she can get her act together - not just losing weight, but becoming more responsible so she can be a proper parent.

HeinousHecate Sun 21-Oct-12 13:36:22

no. I have been more than that, with 2 children, both with autism and social services never came near us.

And she is now a size 16, and can't have the child back?

This is not about weight. She may be telling herself that this is about weight because it's less painful, perhaps, than looking at other reasons, but if this is about weight, I'm kate moss.

AgentProvocateur Sun 21-Oct-12 13:43:23

It's not about her weight - its because she was bringing the child up in squalor, and perhaps not feeding him properly. And the fact that she met someone on the Internet and married him within six months may have also rung alarm bells, on top of the other issues.

juneau Sun 21-Oct-12 13:57:51

What she inflicted on her son, as a direct result of her life choices, was utter neglect. Anyone who neglects their child to that degree would have them taken away if SS were alerted to the issue. The weight was only part of the problem - the fact that she can't see, even now, how neglected her son was is probably why she hasn't got him back (and shouldn't have him back IMO).

CuriousMama Sun 21-Oct-12 13:58:50

Oh I didn't see that about the internet guy?

Hecate hats off to you. I know how hard it is with 1 child with autism never mind 2. Mind you I wouldn't change him and his lovely quirks smile

Nancy66 Sun 21-Oct-12 14:02:04

I agree with the others. I suspect the women is choosing to see her weight as the big issue when it is likely to have been a whole host of other things.

HeinousHecate Sun 21-Oct-12 15:22:14

It's an interesting life and no mistake grin

CuriousMama Sun 21-Oct-12 15:33:13

Yes Hecate grin

121343 Mon 22-Oct-12 22:28:16

It was neglect. Look a t this paragraph.
“The house just became a mess. There would be food all over the living room, along with piles of unwashed ­laundry and all of Ewan’s toys scattered ­everywhere.” Kerry, from Grays, Essex, asked her local authority, Thurrock Council, for help with housework, washing herself and equipment to get her up stairs, but was turned down.
SS took the right decision

ReallyTired Wed 24-Oct-12 22:27:00

I imagine that the little boy is happily settled with his granmother. It would not be in his interests to move him back to his mother. The little boy now has a parental bond with his granmother.

Having children is not a right but a privilage. A child's right to live in a clean and safe house is more important. Children aren't commodities or pocessions.

Social services have to think what is the in the best interest of the child rather than making the mother happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now