Talk

Advanced search

WWi - celebrating the start

(6 Posts)
Jux Thu 11-Oct-12 15:16:16

DC has said that we're going to be celebrating the centenary of the start of WW1.

Why?

Rather a lot of people died horribly; it deprived families of sons, brothers, fathers, uncles. It was horrific.

It was the birth of Naziism.

What is there to celebrate about any of that?

Of course, celebrate the centenary of the END of it, in 2018. Great idea. Hope springing and all that, war to end all wars etc.

Oh yes, DC probably won't be in power in 2018.

Silly me.

MrJudgeyPants Thu 11-Oct-12 17:01:40

To be fair, DC is suggesting that we commemorate the event, not celebrate it.

Jux Thu 11-Oct-12 18:58:38

That's better! It was reported as celebrate, though.

I do think he's only doing it as it'll fall within his Parliament and the centenary of the end won't. He didn't get enough kudos spending all that dosh on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics (both fantastic of course). We simply don't have enough money to do a great deal more atm, do we?

There are an awful lot of disabled children whose parents can't get enough nappies for them, (if they get any nowadays), for example.
Refuges are almost a thing of the past, for another example.

Mark it with a greater silence but save the show for the end, in 2018.i

wheredidiputit Thu 11-Oct-12 19:07:39

Jux

I was thinking the same if the country has '50 million pounds' spare surely there are better things to spend it on.

If it has to go to schools, I'm most will some sort urgent repairs that need doing that they would rather use the money for.

Jux Thu 11-Oct-12 19:54:33

50 million pounds 'spare'. FFS! Who the hell are these people?!

"Hmm, let me think:

Under 25s benefits.
Disabled Living Allowance.
Refuges.
Young People's Services.

No, all very boring and no votes in them.

I say! Let's spend it on a Jolly! That's what people remember when it comes to elections!"

0liverb0liverbuttface Thu 11-Oct-12 21:25:07

I agree - seems a strange thing to remember in this way and as others have said I'd prefer the money went on any number of other things.

Definitely vote buying IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now