Talk

Advanced search

Would you throw an apple core into a hedge?

(34 Posts)
Goldmandra Sat 06-Oct-12 12:09:31

I've always thought this is OK in the same way as I'd feed veg peelings to our guinea pigs or compost waste food in the garden.

Maybe it isn't.

OwedToAutumn Sat 06-Oct-12 12:11:58

Banana peels appear to grow in the woods opposite my house.

SamSmalaidh Sat 06-Oct-12 12:14:48

I would/have thrown an apple core into a hedge as well! I wonder if the owners of trees are littering if something falls from a tree on their property onto public land?

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sat 06-Oct-12 12:24:38

That's bloody mad.

Meglet Sat 06-Oct-12 12:31:04

Not very often, but I have done if we're out for walks.

Usually I bring it home and chuck it in the compost bin. Or, pop it in the pushchair / car, forget about it for 2 weeks then when it's a shrivelled, manky bit of apple then it goes in the compost bin.

AllPastYears Sat 06-Oct-12 12:40:58

Not from a car (I don't throw anything out of cars) but if I was out on a walk then yes, quite possibly.

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Oct-12 12:45:55

As children, we were always taught that things like apple cores were not litter if they were discarded in woods or hedges, but were litter if dropped in the street.

HelloOutThere Sat 06-Oct-12 12:47:42

yes, same as 3littlefrogs - on the pavement is rubbish back to nature is fine

NotGeoffVader Sat 06-Oct-12 12:51:57

Yes, I would throw it into a hedge. As the teacher said, it's biodegradable. However, paper, plastic and any other rubbish I would take home.

50smellsofshite Sat 06-Oct-12 12:53:30

Yes I would. I'm surprised at that.

simbo Sat 06-Oct-12 12:59:03

The world has gone mad! I assume that the person witnessing the incident didn't know that it was an apple core that had been thrown, and then the court had to proceed so that he didn't look like a t**t. I'm going to take an apple out with me later. Mind you, I don't throw things out of car windows. The dog will get it before any bird gets a look in.

Yes out of car windows in the countryside, but no if the DCs are in the car or I am in sight of any other car. That's why there are random fruit trees along many main roads. Never in town. No to banana skins, they take about 6 months to disappear.

Goldmandra Sat 06-Oct-12 13:09:42

The only justification I could think of was that it could spread diseases from imported fruit but then it wouldn't be OK to compost fruit in our gardens, would it?

I think this sounds like a case of someone having to finish what they started.

I have to confess to having thrown apple cores out of car windows on country lanes before (but not on faster roads) because I too wouldn't get around to putting it in the bin until it was brown and shrivelled . I might just have to rethink that in case I'm being followed by a Jobsworth.

I wouldn't dream of chucking on into a garden or onto a pavement, just a hedge on a country lane.

GwendolineScaryLacey Sat 06-Oct-12 13:13:26

Yes if I was walking along but I'm not keen on dropping anything out of car windows as it looks common wink and could be dangerous <elf and safety grin>

But yes, I also work on a biodegradable basis.

BackforGood Sat 06-Oct-12 13:16:02

I agree with everyone else. An applecore is returning to nature if you throw it into a hedgerow. I wouldn't drop it on a pavement or ina town, but I vertainly would give the birds and insects a treat if I were out in the countryside. How bizarre!

0liverb0liverbuttface Sun 07-Oct-12 15:57:56

I agree - have thrown apple and pear cores out of the car window (only when nobody about and no other car near as they might think I was throwing something else out !)

I wouldn't throw orange peel or a banana skin though as they take longer to rot and aren't native to this country.

I would never drop anything on a pavement or built up area though.

This case is authority gone made IMO.

0liverb0liverbuttface Sun 07-Oct-12 15:58:17

mad sorry!

Mirage Sun 07-Oct-12 21:40:03

I wouldn't.The hedge belongs to someone and they might not want a tree growing through it.

Tommy Sun 07-Oct-12 21:43:04

I used to lob an apple core out of my car window every day when I worked "in the country-side". Wouldn't do it in town but they used to go in the hedge or a field depending on how good my aim was.
There may be a field on the outskirts of Salisbury that now has an orchard grin

Jux Thu 25-Oct-12 23:26:44

Yes, but I have no shame.

Haven't those twits heard of Johnny Appleseed who strew apple seeds throughout the USA and then they had lots of apple trees? Lovely. I'm quite happy to be responsible for another apple tree growing.

Banana skins are good for roses, by the way. wink

SinisterSal Thu 25-Oct-12 23:28:14

yes of course, am surprised someone wouldn't

Bumpstart Fri 26-Oct-12 20:19:30

I pick apples off a few trees every autumn. They are growing next to the railway line, and are obviously there as a result of people chucking their apple cores out many years ago.

Long live the random apple tree!

Goldmandra Fri 26-Oct-12 20:41:17

Love it Bumpstart! grin

Bumpstart Sat 27-Oct-12 18:56:07

I'm going to google johnny appleseed now!

Goldmandra Sun 28-Oct-12 10:48:26

I've just done that. What an odd man!

He clearly wanted to do good and succeeded but it's a bit weird that he thought he could grow his own wife by sending a child to school and waiting for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now