Talk

Advanced search

I have a stupid question and I know mumsnet will know

(14 Posts)
bigbadbarry Wed 19-Sep-12 13:03:47

Why are they naming this Dale Cregan, are they not usually very careful to say "a man is being held"? Is it because he was already wanted?

gregssausageroll Wed 19-Sep-12 13:17:32

He was already out on bail for attempted murder and the police had been looking for him. I believe there was a £50K reward to find him. I am sure that is what I read last night.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 19-Sep-12 13:35:14

They quite often name the person arrested. Not unusual at all.

meditrina Wed 19-Sep-12 13:45:09

Are you sure? Usually the official naming is when charges are brought (before that they give age, sex and perhaps location) as soemtimes those arrested are completely exonerated. If course information about the case already in the public domain means it's someiptimes easy to work out who the detainees must be (recent exampe: Philpott parents).

In is case there is also a public interest because of the pre-existing manhunt, and also he turned himself in rather than being apprehended, and I don't know if either of ise factors make a difference.

bigbadbarry Wed 19-Sep-12 18:23:16

Oops sorry I wandered off. I also thought that while they name people who have been charged, they don't usually do so before.

SunWukong Thu 20-Sep-12 09:58:10

Pretty sure it's because he was wanted anyway, his name had already been released for that.

MissM Thu 20-Sep-12 12:00:08

They named the landlord in Bristol who had nothing whatsoever to do with killing his tenant, and hadn't been charged.

bigbadbarry Thu 20-Sep-12 21:28:47

I said that to DH but he thought he was named by the press not by the police. I can't remember.

MissM Thu 20-Sep-12 21:36:02

I can't remember either. But how would the press have known if the police hadn't told them?

oreocrumbs Thu 20-Sep-12 21:38:56

Isn't it because he handed himself in, and therefore I presume pleaded guilty/admitted the crime?

I'm not sure though but that was my take on it.

CatWantsPeopleFood Thu 20-Sep-12 21:45:46

He handed himself in because the police had already said they wanted to talk to him etc. but I don't think that he has pleaded guilty, as there would be no need to keep questioning him if he had.

bigbadbarry Fri 21-Sep-12 08:23:34

Now they are naming e other chap they have arrested and I don't think he had broken bail. Maybe they always can but sometimes choose not to?

DancehallDaze Fri 21-Sep-12 19:34:41

Miss M The police did not name the Bristol landlord. It was the media who did that.

How would they know? Well, it wasn't difficult to work out and they were hanging around the place all the time and would have seen him leave anyway.

Meanwhile the BBC are reporting that the man arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder re the two GMP officers has been released without charge. Not sure if it was the police who named him or not.

DancehallDaze Fri 21-Sep-12 19:40:30

It will be a long time before Cregan is asked to enter a plea, that process comes a long way down the line. Makes no odds if he admits anything now or not. Look at the bloke charged with the murder of Sian O'Callaghan. He showed them where her body was AND volunteered the burial site of another victim that no one knew about .... and he is pleading Not Guilty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now