Advanced search

7/7 - where were you?

(222 Posts)
CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 06-Jul-12 11:50:46

Just realised it's the 7th anniversary of the 7/7 London bombings tomorrow.

I haven't thought about that day for some time now, but for a long time after there wasn't much else I could think about. Here's my recollection of the day.

I was on my way to a primary school outside of London to do some user testing for a course my company had developed and was en route between Bethnal Green, where I lived, and Waterloo.

I walked in to Liverpool Street Station and down in to the ticket area of the tube and made my way on to the eastbound platform just as a circle line train was pulling in. I was running pretty early so decided to grab a can of coke to wake me up from the kiosk on the platform, and let that train go by without me. Not long after the train had fully left the station there was a whooshing sound, soon followed by (which really stayed with me) a smell of burning (plastic or something).

A kind of controlled panic ensued, nobody knew what had happened, we all started getting off the platform as quickly as possible and the staff were ushering everyone out of the station. by the time I managed to get outside the emergency services were arriving. I had no idea what to do so just started walking to Waterloo, desperately trying to get a news feed up on my phone to see what was going on (this was 2005 - no smart phones back then!) but couldn't. It wasn't until I arrived at Waterloo that I found out what had happened and was told that I could leave London, but I wouldn't be getting back in today, so I decided to cancel the testing, make my way home and work from there.

I started to make my way, again on foot (public transport had obviously completely shut down), but every street I walked down seem to be being cordoned off by the police and I found myself walking further and further trying to find a route, then it started raining. Finally I managed to get to Bethnal Green Road after walking for what felt like hours, my mum managed to get through to me on my mobile after hours of trying, as soon as I heard her voice I just sat down on the curb and started crying - the gravity of the situation just hit me.

Took me a while to realise that that decision to have a can of coke could have potentially saved my life (dependent on what carriage I'd got on of course) - the ironic thing is I don't drink the stuff any more as I can't have caffeine due to panic attacks/anxiety issues.

Wow - that was long, sorry if I've bored you to death! That was the first time I've written down in detail what happened that day, rather cathartic really.

Interested to hear your memories of the day.

Kveta Fri 06-Jul-12 11:56:28

in a lab off russell square. heard an almighty bang which we realised later was the bus on tavistock sq.

DH (then boyfriend who had just moved to the uk) was on H+C line through Edgware rd, but had made it through earlier than the bomb.

it was a LONG day though waiting to contact my family to let them know I was ok, and then get home to see DH.

can't believe it's 7 years already sad

7 years today since London won the olympic bid too.

hoops997 Fri 06-Jul-12 11:56:48

I was in Germany in the Army, we went on full alert but didn't really know why. It's amazing how one little decision could have saved your life.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 06-Jul-12 11:57:54

Of course - it was the same day wasn't it, the olympic announcement.

hoops997 Fri 06-Jul-12 11:58:57

The bombing was the day after the Olympic bid announcement

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 06-Jul-12 11:59:35

Ah, ok, the day after.

Kveta Fri 06-Jul-12 12:00:51

Dara O'Briain said he loved how Londoners reacted to both events - olympic bid and bombing:

'that's incredible news. but how am I going to get home?'

hellymelly Fri 06-Jul-12 12:02:12

We live next to the station in King's cross, but had gone to Whitstable to visit a friend the day before, and stayed over. My eldest dd was 6m old. We woke up and the news was on, my friend was worried as her DH works in London, so we were just watching it all unfold, and then drove back to London that night, rather unsure as to whether we would get access to our home, as the area was cordoned off. London was very eery at 11.30p.m., empty streets other than the odd straggler walking home. I'd never seen the city like that. I haven't been on a tube since then.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 06-Jul-12 12:04:15

I was in my office in Kent, making plans to spend the night there and feeling very grateful that DP was at home (North London) that day so within walking distance of DD's school. I managed to get back that night around 11pm.

I was rushing to get a H&C line tube a couple of stops up the line from Edgware Road, fortunately I was running a bit late.

AngryFeet Fri 06-Jul-12 12:05:37

I was in a shop in Croydon with 10 month old DD in her pram. The shop had a TV and everyone was staring at it so I went to have a look. I immediately went back to my car as I wanted to get home and try and contact everyone I knew who worked in London. Lucky I did as 10 mins after I drove out of the carpark there was a bomb scare at the station and they closed the whole town down until they knew it was safe.

StellaNova Fri 06-Jul-12 12:06:25

I lived in Hackney and usually took a bus to Angel and changed onto the Piccadilly line at King's Cross, usually later than the bombing happened though.

As it happened I was in a remote-ish part of Scotland on holiday and saw events unfolding on the news, then spent the day trying to get mobile phone signal to check on all my friends and family.

DH later said he had woken up that morning and planned to propose to me, but then didn't when we found out about the bombing because it didn't seem right.

Plomino Fri 06-Jul-12 12:06:41

I was at work , near King's cross. Had just left the nick , when we heard that a number of major incidents had occurred over the radio, and got instructed to return and await instructions of the duty officer . Then ended up being deployed down to Russell square , assisting the doctors from the Bma fetching and carrying whatever they needed . A lot of it I honestly don't remember .

When we eventually got released , I then drove home , but saw loads and loads of people walking home down the A13 as there were no trains , so I filled the car up , and dropped them home . As did virtually every car going the same way .

sfxmum Fri 06-Jul-12 12:06:49

I had a month old baby, husband had just gone back to work, in Central London, did not hear from him until 4pm - not the best day but all the family was fine. But a work colleague died in the Piccadilly Line bomb

101handbags Fri 06-Jul-12 12:07:37

On a tube going towards Liverpool Street. Must have been a train or 2 behind the Aldgate bombed tube. The train stopped at Barbican for ages and everyone was told to get off as the train was going no further. My DP's train (overground) train got stopped at King's Cross, he saw lots of people with blackened faces coming out of the tube. Everyone was glued to the TV in silence at work, then left early. Had to walk for ages to a station that would get me home. The streets were full of people walking. I remember one man handing out photocopied pages from the A to Z to everyone as they passed. Makes me shiver just thinking about that day. Plan to go to the memorial next week, I've never been.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 06-Jul-12 12:09:14

hellymelly one of the first symptoms of my anxiety problem was not being able to get on to an escalator, followed by panicking if a tube stopped mid-tunnel, and now I just don't go on them at all. This only happened about 2 years ago, but I do wonder if it's a delayed reaction if you see what I mean.

happypotamus Fri 06-Jul-12 12:09:43

I had been to see REM in Nottingham the night before, so was at a train station that morning waiting to get a train back to Birmingham. There were repeated announcements warning people against travelling to London as the entire underground network was down. People looked at each other and laughed in despair at the nation's public transport system, believing it had broken down. I didn't discover the truth until I got home.

Pozzled Fri 06-Jul-12 12:09:58

Teaching in a school in outer London. I was taking my class swiming a short walk away when we saw a van full of armed police speeding past. The news came through soon after and I remember waiting while my TA made her phone calls, then desperately trying to get through to my DH. He was fine, but when I put the phone down I just burst into tears.

The whole day was surreal, teaching as normal- we were told not to say anything to the children. All the staff had loved ones in town and we had very little information, and had to stay at work until 8pm for an after school event. I've always felt they should have cancelled the event.

GloriaSmud Fri 06-Jul-12 12:10:31

It was DD1's birthday and I was just about to ice her birthday cake ready for her party that day. DH rang (I think about 10-10.30am) to ask if I knew anything because the BBC news website was really slow to load. He didn't know whether it was down to the computer/internet connection he had at work but I had the same problem at home. I put the TV on after that (and it stayed on most of the day), to find out what had happened.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 06-Jul-12 12:11:18

so sorry to hear about your colleague sfxmum

JustFabulous Fri 06-Jul-12 12:12:58

I had a brand new baby who was less than a month old. I had just got home from picking up DH and DD from the hospital. She had been kept in overnight after an accident and an operation. We were about to go out to see the manager of the shop of the item that DD had had the accident with and saw the newsflash of a bomb on a bus. To my shame I wasn't interested as I thought it was a false alarm and I was tied up in new baby exhaustion and the terror of DD's accident. I know someone who lost their brother so will be thinking of them and everyone who has been affected tomorrow.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 06-Jul-12 12:13:45

I twas on a coach on my way to Glasgow airport from Inverness, to go on holiday.
Then the coach stopped at Perth, and the driver told us to take all our bags out and they were all searched confused.
I had no clue what was going on until I got to the airport.

JustFabulous Fri 06-Jul-12 12:19:28

Saying I wasn't interested sounds horrible. I just meant without the baby and DD's accident I would have sat glued to the tv but my own circumstances and their reality overtook me.

FaceForRadio Fri 06-Jul-12 12:19:36

I was working in Scotland and listening on the radio as more news came in.

Even as far away as Scotland I was quite shaken at the enormity of what had happened. Like a lot of people all around the world.

One thing that sticks in my mind, and it's quite funny really, is that whilst listening in silence to the news for ages there was a really loud bang on the window. We all screamed, we got such a fright - it was only a seagull flying into the window, but we all thought it was....well much worse.

That damned seagull made me jump out my skin grin

I never knew anyone 'involved' but there was a definite 'eerie feeling' amongst the people in the office that day.

DameFlatYouLent Fri 06-Jul-12 12:20:14

I got on the central line at Liverpool st and managed to do my full journey to work. When I got to Notting Hill things started to go a bit panicky on the tube. Ended up walking with friends from Notting Hill down to Kennington - it was utterly bizarre walking through London. Hordes of people all doing the same - public transport down, no traffic on the roads, just people everywhere trying to get home. Hung out in a pub all afternoon blush with friends watching the news unfold, then DH (who was DF then) picked me up later that evening to take me back home to E London.

Completely surreal day, but my goodness, cuppa, what an unbelievable escape you had.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: