Talk

Advanced search

Pesticides harming bees

(13 Posts)
CFSKate Fri 30-Mar-12 09:20:34

www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9173586/Pesticides-harming-bee-populations-researchers-suggest.html

I remember reading this last year that said without bees, Chinese farmers were having to pollinate by hand. www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/decline-of-honey-bees-now-a-global-phenomenon-says-united-nations-2237541.html

"Many beekeepers have become convinced that the new pesticides are behind the declines, and in France, Italy and other countries they have been banned. But in Britain and the US their use continues."

CFSKate Fri 20-Oct-17 10:21:59

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/19/alarming-study-shows-number-insects-have-decimated-germany/

"flying insects in general have decreased by more than three-quarters across Germany since 1989.
Researchers are concerned because insects are important pollinators and also a key part of the food chain, serving as meals for birds and other small creatures."

SilverySurfer Sat 21-Oct-17 15:50:37

That is really bad news. I don't use pesticides or poisons in my garden and am thinking of setting up a hive or two - bees play such an important role. I also wonder about the effect GM crops have on the insect population, I am really anti GM crops.

Vitalogy Wed 01-Nov-17 17:59:11

Dear lord we're in trouble. One reply on a thread regarding such an important issue. I noticed you started this thread back in 2012 as well OP, no reply then either.
I try and buy as much organic as possible. I too am against GMO. A scary world.

Fixmylife Wed 01-Nov-17 18:10:00

People are too far removed from the natural world, see all the threads on here about killing spiders and insects.

I would love to have a bee hive in the garden! I also don't use any pesticides.

The decline in insects is absolutely shocking and a serious threat to every animal and human on the planet but I suspect it will be much worse before action is taken against the corporates who promote insecticides and weed killers 🙁

megletthesecond Wed 01-Nov-17 18:14:59

I don't use any pesticides or weedkillers on my garden or allotment.
I still have bees buzzing around the bee friendly flowers in the garden.

fix you're right, lots of people are totally removed from these things sad.

Vitalogy Wed 01-Nov-17 18:17:53

People are too far removed from the natural world, see all the threads on here about killing spiders and insects. That's right.

There was something I saw the other day, can't remember what heck it was but the person in a car was talking about years ago when out driving, the cars front window would be covered in dead insects, now very few or if at all. Just an example of the decline.

nightshade Wed 01-Nov-17 18:48:27

Areas of bare soil for tunnelling bees...old brick work...etc...very easy to have areas for all sorts of pollinators..not weeding the natural hedgerow plants out etc...

People want everything sterile manicured and in neat little rows...

Also plant for the 'June gap'..

Vitalogy Wed 01-Nov-17 19:13:11

It's great that people can make their gardens bee and insect friendly but the biggest thing the people can do is to buy organic and non GMO foods. I know these are more expensive so not always the easiest thing to manage but this is the only way we'll send the message out that we don't want GMO and fertilisers spread on the crops.

Vitalogy Wed 01-Nov-17 19:14:23

*pesticides

Slippersandacuppa Wed 01-Nov-17 19:20:45

I got really cross with my brother in law. He's a farmer and recently posted something on Facebook about there being more harmful chemicals in a cup of coffee than on all of the fruit and vegetables the average person consumes in a year. Therefore, it's all hunky dory. No mention of bees or the environment in general. We have a colony in our attic (we watched them swarm in - very cool!) and want a few more in the garden. I've been reading a lot about natural beekeeping. Much kinder to the bees. DH has been on a mission to only plant bee-friendly plants/ flowers. Particularly early and late ones. Grrrrrrrt.

Steaksauce Wed 01-Nov-17 19:22:31

This and antibiotic resistance are the 2 things that scare me most about the future. And the bear future at that because it’s happening now.

I have planted pollinator friendly plants and I have a wildlife area in my garden that I rarely touch.
I never use any pesticides or anything else.
I buy organic where I can. This summer I had some bees living in an underground hive in my flower bed smile

nightshade Thu 02-Nov-17 07:33:07

Just watch u don't end up with honey dripping through your ceiling slippers!..

Like that lady in australia!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now