Talk

Advanced search

Energy bills not to rise .But what about Oil users

(23 Posts)
Flamingredhead Mon 17-Oct-11 11:44:31

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15308005

Well yes that is good news as its pretty essential yet ,what about those of us that have no choice other than oil fired heating and or hot water

They are expecting it if we have a cold winter to hit £1 a litre last year many people either could not afford it or just could not get the delivery as to rural and not enough available

We are often hit by the supply and demand rules .The home heating oil industry is not regulated by any official bodies .They can basically hold us to ransom .Maybe time the government as well as looking at gas and eltric rises also looked at Oil .Can you imagine the uproar if EON and Britsh GAs raised their prices sky high in the winter .

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2048971/Heating-homes-cost-winter-predictions-Arctic-winter-lead-possibility-major-spike-oil-prices.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Pascha Mon 17-Oct-11 11:52:18

I hate that we are reliant on oil at home sad. If it wasn't for the woodburner and all the free wood we can get our hands on it would be a very uncomfortable winter for us.

Everyone got all up in arms ten years ago about petrol rising beyond 80p/litre. Now its £1.33-£1.40/litre and there's barely a blink. It will be the same for oil I fear, once it reaches £1/litre there will be no looking back.

Flamingredhead Mon 17-Oct-11 12:01:13

Pascha your right no one seems to notice especially the goverment or even majority of the public in the way they talk about energy bills eg GAs and Electric

Im dreading the winter there is no open fire option either .I have put oil in but am scared to turn it on yet knowing have to really eke it out as is our hot water supply to

Flamingredhead Mon 17-Oct-11 12:05:36

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15308005

Pascha Mon 17-Oct-11 12:09:05

I am resolving to make one tank last til at least march. It was filled about 6 weeks ago so maybe, if we don't put heating on in the day, it might do it.

We looked at putting in an all-electric system, and also an air-source heat pump, but neither of those options are really viable for our house - won't get our money back in savings.

Rhymenoseros Mon 17-Oct-11 14:03:23

www.hvnplus.co.uk/news/government-inquiry-targets-domestic-heating-oil-costs/8611614.article
this was a few months ago, not sure whats happening now, if anything.

We lived in a house that had oil, it was a nightmare! the LL would not service the tank as apparently there is no legal requirement to with oil, and we got through 500l a month in the winter-about £300 a month, and I was very stingy with the heating! We also had a few weeks where they could not deliver to us because of the ice and snow, so no heating in the coldest weather. It was awful, especially as I have a health condition that requires me to keep warm or I seize up totally.

I used to fill the tank in august when the prices are at their cheapest, although we only had a small tank so it was not enough to get us through the winter.

ragged Mon 17-Oct-11 14:09:07

we got through 500l a month in the winter

That is insane. Must have had zip insulation, I think. I have a big det. 4 bed house with very windy aspect and we only get thru about 900-1200 litres /year.

I insisted on us filling up recently, too, just to avoid having to buy midwinter when prices tend to peak.

ragged Mon 17-Oct-11 14:09:36

OP: can you heat your hot water with an immersion heater? We've switched to electric on timer for that.

Rhymenoseros Mon 17-Oct-11 14:34:21

ragged I think it got through so much because the boiler itself had not been serviced in a long time, and was REALLY old,and probably totally inefficient. It was a bungalow as well, so we could not benefit from the upstairs being warmed by the downstairs IYSWIM

Flamingredhead Mon 17-Oct-11 14:41:16

rhyme same problem as what i have .The regulations are so easily to flaunt.Nowadays my tank would be illegal for insulation and siteing etc

oil is piped from the tank to the boiler in the restroom then pumped back to my house same with the hotwater you run tap for 5 mins to get rid of the cold water.Rhyme im the same im in a wheelchair and am not looking forward to winter at all

ragged

There is no immersion at all.so i have to really watch the oil

Rhymenoseros Mon 17-Oct-11 15:24:25

Flaming It is a nightmare situation, I hope you can find a solution. I complained to my council landlord/tenant dispute team but then the ll served a section 21 rather than do any work to the property, so we were then homeless.

I think some oil companies offer a discount if you and a few neighbours order at the same time, might be worth considering. I got a few electric heaters for the period when we had no oil but these are also so expensive to run.

Flamingredhead Mon 17-Oct-11 15:52:12

Rhyme fortunatley enough i shall be moving feb/March time next year igot a section 21 as got enviromental helath involved .But court refused grant immediate evection order as council are proccess of building me somewhere ( now in wheelchair so ias adapted house ) so this is my last winter .I am looking forward to heating and a LL/Ha that can not leave me without hotwater for 3 weeks

Xales Mon 17-Oct-11 16:27:44

Haven't all the energy companies just put up their rates but something like 19% in the last month? Nice of them to say they won't do it for a little after just doing it hmm before the coldest part of the year hits hmm when everyone needs to use more hmm. They must have hated the start to this Oct down here where it has been sunny and warm!

Sympathies for all you with oil though sad

Flamingredhead Mon 17-Oct-11 17:25:19

Yes they have but oil is expected to Gp up by just Under 100% and there is no limit or no control . Eletric companies are not allowed to leave people without it and start having yonpay compensation after 24 hrs .

Think of the outcry when GAs was if for 3 days in some parts of company but hardly anything mentioned about OIl

Moodykat Thu 20-Oct-11 12:12:42

I can't afford oil. Had 750 litres delivered last winter only for some fucker to come along, cut the lock off, and pinch the lot. Luckily we have a woodburner but in our bungalow it has no effect in the bedroom end of the house. I have electric heaters in kids rooms and hallway for when it's morning and the fire has gone out.
I hate getting up in a cold house! God knows what our electric bill is going to be!

TheHumancatapult Thu 20-Oct-11 14:21:11

Moody I have no Choice as no emersion so have to run the boiler for hot water .I had it stolen like you last year and just sobbed when it happened no fire here either

Yep I second hate a cold house but trying to make the oil stretch till it is really cold

ShroudOfHamsters Thu 20-Oct-11 17:10:50

We're about to move from an oil heated property to GAS. With insulation. Combi boiler.

I cannot wait!

Moodykat Thu 20-Oct-11 18:05:07

I did the same catapult, just burst into tears when I realised why the heating hadn't come on!

niceguy2 Thu 20-Oct-11 19:09:55

Genuine question for you guys with oil heating. How much do you think you spend in a year?

I ask because some friends of mine just moved into a rented detached, single glazed property with oil central heating, after falling in love with the "country lifestyle". Kind of ironic really given they have a lovely 4 bed gas central heated house about 10 mins away.

I think they've been incredibly naive and rushed into this with the assumption that it's about the same cost to use oil as it is gas. From the sounds of things it isn't. I know they've recently bought £300 worth of oil, not sure how long it will last. My friend is complaining it was too cold about a fortnight ago! God knows how they'll manage in Jan/Feb.

ragged Thu 20-Oct-11 19:17:33

DH reckons (I don't keep track) we use about 700l/year, which is about 400quid/year at current prices. We have a big house, too, but well insulated. I hear stories of people getting thru 200l/month, though I can't conceive how unless they have no insulation at all.
I think DH might be underestimating, & we use more like 1000l/year, and that'd be 540 quid. No more, anyway.

TheHumancatapult Thu 20-Oct-11 20:36:45

Ok 4 bed detached bungalow crap insulation old boiler not serviced

Bearing in mind that ours also runs the hotwater . In the summer months not a lot 500 litres last all summer .In the winter last year was nearly 500 litres a month I reckon and that was house between 17-18 . This year if could afford it be more as I'm in wheelchair so feel the cold but can't afford it

I'm moving end of Jan . will I ever gave oil heating again not if I can help it

300 is round about 500 litres I suggest they check size of there tank and get some more as it doubles in the winter Oh and a electric blanket and a thick quilt

Earwigwam Sun 23-Oct-11 12:00:20

We use about 1500 litres so just under 1k for the year, I am at home alot but we also use the odd electric heater and fires for winter evenings. I am quite stingy and try to keep doors shut, put up with it cold getting into bed etc.

That is in a fairly well insulated but not perfect, 4 bed detatched and heating water through the summer.

niceguy2 Sun 23-Oct-11 23:32:07

£400-£500 a year doesn't sound that bad. I'm paying £65 a month to British Gas for gas so that's just shy of £800 anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now