Talk

Advanced search

6month pension change delay crap

(8 Posts)
lilyliz Thu 13-Oct-11 21:35:48

I have three friends I am close to,we have been friends since school,all started same day all left same day,now because their birthdays are before 5 October they will get a pension at 65 while I born in November will have to wait over a year,would the 31 December not have been a fairer date to change to and at least let every one who left school 45yrs earlier get a pension at the same age.

lilyliz Thu 13-Oct-11 21:37:46

45 should be 55 sorry just so angry.

raspberryroop Thu 13-Oct-11 21:41:15

Honestly, what has school got to do with it and school years run Sep to Sep anyway ? But sorry you will miss out though , it has not been handled well

lilyliz Thu 13-Oct-11 21:58:18

Well ok maybe they should change the pension dates fron 5 April-4 April to 5 Sept - 4Sept so that all the people who finish school get pensions in same year so nobody working more or lesss than others (unless they wish too of course)In fact that sounds so sensible it's probably why the government have never thought of it.

raspberryroop Thu 13-Oct-11 22:09:22

I think your 1st suggestion was the best, end of a year - but if they had stretched their brains they should just find a way to not affect anyone - ie rolling date or lump sum compensation pro rata

CustardCake Thu 13-Oct-11 23:17:50

The trouble with a deadline is that there will always be people either side of it. For example, as somebody born in November, you think December 31st is the obvious date.
People born in the March after you were born might think that April is the obvious date as that's the tax year.
People born in the Summer after you were born might think August 31st is the best date as then everyone in the same school year is treated the same.... and so on.
If you fall the 'wrong' side of the date it is really unfortunate but with any definite deadline lots of people will miss out by 7 hours, 7 days, 7 weeks etc. I agree with raspberry though that it is better not to have a deadline as such but a gradual phasing in.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Oct-11 08:53:48

Listening to some progammes yesterday, there may be women who are still unaware of the changes that will be happening to the state pension age. This link and this Calculator can help you determine what age you will start to receive the state pension.

lilyliz Fri 14-Oct-11 16:16:09

sorry for the 55(would have meant started work at 10)what I am getting at is my friends will have worked 50yrs and I have to work 51yrs for no extra benefit,they could actually defer their pension a year and still get it sooner than me.Mind you 10 yrs is a long time who knows what will happen,maybe win lottery and be happy as Larry,or just sign on at 64 and let the gov keep me for 2yrs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now