Talk

Advanced search

Twin M - battered and broken - her parents get 2.5 years plus 'licence'

(61 Posts)
abendbrot Mon 10-Oct-11 23:13:45

What were Preston Crown Court playing at today when they deemed it acceptable to let this pair of sadists off so lightly?

HERE

abendbrot Mon 10-Oct-11 23:34:58

AOL News said: The Karolias will be released on licence halfway through their jail terms and will then have to serve an extended licence period of five years.

abendbrot Mon 10-Oct-11 23:37:22

Serving a sentence on licence = tagged

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 11-Oct-11 09:42:48

Absolutely shocking. I doubt (and hope) that their prison stay won't be terribly pleasant.

BarbarianMum Tue 11-Oct-11 11:12:58

Violence to ones own children has always attracted spectacularly lenient sentences in the UK. sad

When I was 9 or 10 there was a case in the news where a couple had tortured their son to death. It was the first time I ever realised these things happened. The pathologist said 'it looked as though he'd been in a car accident'. They got 4 years angry. I was outraged to the point of tears and have never forgotten it, although sadly I am no longer surprised when it happens and no longer cry.

MoreBeta Tue 11-Oct-11 11:21:43

I believe there is a process whereby sentences can be reviewed and lengthened - to deal with just this situation.

A higher court certainly needs to review this case.

abendbrot Tue 11-Oct-11 12:25:37

Morebeta - I'm not sure anyone will take the parents to the high court - there is no mention of it in the reports. There is nobody there to stand up for these children.

It may be that where a local authority is culpable (Baby P etc) that it will go to the High Court.

BBC REPORT

sad

Callisto Tue 11-Oct-11 13:14:07

You can lobby the attorney general and ask him to review the case. You can do this direct or through your MP.

beakinthebeeswax Tue 11-Oct-11 13:18:29

Jesus that is appalling OP.

What the hell is wrong with people?

I am looking at my 1 year old sleeping on sofa and wondering just how anyone could contemplate hurting a child.

These people are vicious and evil, they should have got life.

abendbrot Tue 11-Oct-11 13:39:17

Thanks Callisto

Anyone fancy drafting a letter to the Attorney General's Office?

It's easy to ask the Attorney General to look at a case - you don't need a lawyer. To ask for a sentence to be looked at, you'll need some basic information. This includes

the name of the person who was sentenced
Mohammed and Nafisa Karolia, of Meadow Close, Blackburn

the name of the Crown Court where the sentence was passed
Preston

the crimes committed
Child cruelty (resulting in the death of a 7 month old baby)

the date of sentence
10/10/11

The letter needs to be sent to:

correspondenceunit@attorneygeneral.gsi.gov.uk

Or you send the same to your local MP. It will make me feel a lot better about this to do something than to just be sad

reallytired Tue 11-Oct-11 13:43:21

That is appauling. The sentences given to the parents are a complete joke.

abendbrot Tue 11-Oct-11 14:01:31

Email sent smile feel better now sad.

abendbrot Tue 11-Oct-11 16:59:40

<bump> - anyone want to fight for justice for this child?

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 11-Oct-11 17:03:17

I've sent an email. Will update if I get a response.
Despite me and my DD arguing like cat and dog, I would never think of harming her.
Absolute cunts the pair of them.

abendbrot Tue 11-Oct-11 17:05:07

shock I agree.

abendbrot Tue 11-Oct-11 20:45:01

If anyone has a spare minute, please write to the Attorney General and complain about the lenient sentence.

caramelwaffle Tue 11-Oct-11 22:35:42

Bump

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 12-Oct-11 08:34:36

Firm bump.

abendbrot Wed 12-Oct-11 10:53:22

Please write to the Attorney General - here's my letter - don't forget to put in the detail at the top.

I object to this lenient sentence on several grounds:

1. I believe these two are dangerous criminals. The vulnerable are not safe with these two at large in society. I believe they should be given an indefinite sentence in the same way that Baby P's abusers were.

2. I also object because this sends out a message to adults that abuse of the vulnerable is not punished severely and will encourage them to continue.

3. It sends a message to nations around the world that the British legal system considers child abuse and murder to be a sad tragedy rather than violent crime against a vulnerable person.

4. Any children who are currently being abused and hear this news will not be sleeping soundly tonight.

caramelwaffle Wed 12-Oct-11 11:17:02

Excellent template abendbrot (will use it)

bump

donnie Wed 12-Oct-11 12:01:51

the report states that the mother was doing a child studies course when they were arrested. That fact alone worries the fuck out of me.

claricestar Wed 12-Oct-11 12:07:39

so tragic for the surviving twin too. sad

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Oct-11 12:39:06

Just a note - licence does not always mean tag. Tagging is a condition that can be imposed, but isn't in all cases. On licence means under supervision of probation.

abendbrot Wed 12-Oct-11 19:13:04

Yay! One more letter from caramelwaffle

Norma - are you saying that on licence could effectively mean out on the loose but have to pop in to the police station every so often? Excuse my ignorance...

Shocking to think this woman was doing a child studies course - I hope she wasn't getting a grant for it...

caramelwaffle Wed 12-Oct-11 20:21:42

Apologies for the copy and paste -

"Unduly Lenient Sentences
The Attorney General has the power to ask the Court of Appeal to review some sentences which he thinks are "unduly lenient" - so light that a judge could not reasonably have handed it down. If the Court of Appeal agrees with the Attorney General it can increase the sentence.
This power has been limited by Parliament in two important ways:

1. Only certain cases are eligible
The sentence must be for one of these offences:
more serious crimes which can be dealt with only in the Crown Court, such as murder, rape and robbery
some sex crimes, especially those involving children, but also indecent assault and some
other sex crimes
child cruelty
threats to kill
some serious frauds
some drugs crimes
some racially or religiously aggravated crimes
attempting or inciting any of these.
2. There is a strict 28 day time limit, from the day the sentence was passed.

Complaints need to be sent within the next 26 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now