Talk

Advanced search

Liam Adams daughter stands by him despite 'sexual assault' allegations

(7 Posts)
ReadRideABikeSwim Mon 03-Oct-11 20:45:25

which include rape

This story is awful and hard to read but how do mumsnetters feel about another daughter standing by him?

Is this the norm?

Would you?

I cannot believe that people would do this against their own sibling but sadly i am all too aware it happens - a lot. I'd love to understand 'why' people would do this in the face of such an awful crime against - in this instance a very young child

what do mumsnetters make of it?

scottishmummy Mon 03-Oct-11 22:03:10

human psyche is complex and depends upon other daughter relationship to her dad
whether or not she believes authenticity of allegations
her emotional connection to him
relationship between the sisters

many factors. it is deeply distressing reading though

ReadRideABikeSwim Mon 03-Oct-11 22:29:25

I feel that the father /child relationship seems to surpass all sorts of taboos....i dont believe for a second i could continue to support/love a father in these circumstances

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 04-Oct-11 07:30:43

We've just had a case concluded where a family firmly stood by their daughter and protested her innocence, in spite of her having been convicted of a particularly horrendous crime. I don't know anything about this Adams person, but I think a family's first instinct is often to defend.

ReadRideABikeSwim Tue 04-Oct-11 11:17:00

Cogito yes I agree but as in the Adama case the Sister is in effect turning against her own sister

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 04-Oct-11 11:28:40

I've experienced that myself. In the family I knew, one sister was accusing the father of abuse. The rest of the siblings took sides. Some stood by the sister and shunned the father. The others thought the sister was lying and supported the father. The latter ultimately proved to be true but, as you can imagine, the whole experience, including the divided loyalties, utterly destroyed the entire family.

ReadRideABikeSwim Wed 05-Oct-11 11:36:23

Sadly I have had the experience also cogito. The courts decided one way - the siblings despite agreeing with the courts - stuck by the father

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now