Talk

Advanced search

£540 million spent to date and still in 2011 there is no test, no cure, no treatment for Human mad Cow Disease

(4 Posts)
Beaaware Sat 01-Oct-11 14:48:11

Since 1998 £540 million has been spent to protect public health from vCJD here is a recent link to an article in the Guardian by Frank Dobson:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/19/vcjd-blood-test-trials#start-of-comments

Dillydaydreaming Sat 01-Oct-11 14:53:28

I saw a family who were devastated to have a family member diagnosed with this. The researchers and experts said we'd all seen the only case we'd ever see of it due to it's rarity. Two months later another young person was diagnosed/suspected to have it. Apparently it is usually diagnosed after death
and was confirmed in both cases I dealt with.

mycatsaysach Sat 01-Oct-11 15:01:56

i know someone who recently passed away with this.very shocking and sad.

Beaaware Wed 05-Oct-11 14:40:56

Thankyou for your replies, I have heard this before that victims families are led to believe by experts that their loved ones are the only ones in the country who have vCJD/nvCJD, it is simply not true, why are they being told this? Cancer victims are not told by experts that they are the only ones with cancer in the UK.
I have also heard that vCJD victims are often mis-diagnosed, with dementia or even ME, I wonder why this is? I dont think we will ever know the true number of cases of Human Mad Cow Disease, I know that nvCJD victims are not included in the national statistics of deaths from HMCD, so there can never be an true accurate number of victims.
I just wish I knew why the researchers/experts tell families they are the only ones, this is shocking, why do they need to lie?
Openness, Honesty & Transparency - not if you develop this disease.
I applaude Frank Dobson for his recent article regarding blood tests, but I fear that this Tory government will simply sweep it under the carpet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now