women in Saudi to get the vote

(10 Posts)
hobnobsaremyfave Sun 25-Sep-11 13:36:03

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15052030
Good news I hope but can't help wondering what the catch will be

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 25-Sep-11 13:36:55

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15052030

giyadas Sun 25-Sep-11 13:42:44

Very good in principle, but I suspect actually exercising this new right will prove very risky for many women.

giyadas Sun 25-Sep-11 13:43:22

That sounded very pessimistic.
It is very good news.

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 25-Sep-11 13:47:12

GIYDAS I'm cynical. I suspect that they will put clauses in place insisting that they must have a man's permission or be accompanied by a man when they vote and that many men will simply refuse.
Hope I'm wrong sad

bemybebe Sun 25-Sep-11 13:51:01

I would have happily welcomed Saudi into the XX century, only they are still in the MiddleAges with respect of women's rights.

Standalone right to vote or being voted for is not significant enough if a person is not allowed to carry out normal living that is permitted to everyone else and the basis of this discrimination is ONLY having the vagina.

giyadas Sun 25-Sep-11 13:52:02

Quite possible sad plus the possibility of groups of men gathering to stop women voting. But maybe I'm underestimating the strength of the Saudi women.
I really want to be happy about this, should put my cynicism to one side.

begonyabampot Sun 25-Sep-11 17:06:12

it's a step in the right direction. I'm hoping that a large portion of Saudi men will welcome this, just because they live under a certain rule doesn't mean they agree with it. So, I'm hoping anyway.

MOSagain Tue 27-Sep-11 15:55:02

hmm will believe it when I see it.
I wonder when women in Saudi will get the right to sit where they want in Starbucks? wink

cookcleanerchaufferetc Tue 27-Sep-11 16:20:42

It wont be happening until 2015 ... alot can happen in four years .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now