Talk

Advanced search

Can you tie a reef knot?

(24 Posts)
EldonAve Sun 25-Sep-11 08:30:24

Only one in five children can tie a reef knot or repair a flat bike tyre according to a new survey which reveals the practical skills dying out among the young.

I wouldn't even be able to tell you what a reef knot was!!

EttiKetti Sun 25-Sep-11 08:33:25

Yes, I was a Brownie and Guide though grin

My DD is a brownie and has no idea, however....

I'm also over 40....

peggyblackett Sun 25-Sep-11 08:34:57

Yes, but I was a guide, and I'm a dinghy sailor, so pretty poor if I couldnt!

Pavlovthecat Sun 25-Sep-11 08:35:46

yes!

BlingLoving Sun 25-Sep-11 08:36:14

Yes, and do think basic skills like this should be taught. Ditto basic first aid

Waswondering Sun 25-Sep-11 08:36:31

Yes and ds also learned to do this in cubs this month.

jenniec79 Sun 25-Sep-11 08:36:47

Yes
Brownies, guides scouting st john ambulance and navy cadets though.

I'm 32. Don't think my friends brownies can yet though hmm

40notTrendy Sun 25-Sep-11 08:36:55

Right over left and under, left over right and under. Is it that one?

inmysparetime Sun 25-Sep-11 08:36:57

A reef knot is the standard double knot: right over left, then left over right. DS learned reef knots at cub camp, practising on liquorice laces. If he got the knot right, he could eat the liquorice lace.
As for bike tyres, I wouldn't be surprised to find a fair proportion of kids aren't allowed out on their bikes anyway so have never had a flat tyre. My Local Authority does bikeability with all Y6 kids including bike maintenance.

bigbadbarry Sun 25-Sep-11 08:37:34

Of course I can. Can't mend a puncture though.

SilentSinger Sun 25-Sep-11 08:57:44

I can tie a reef knot and know how to mend a puncture but have never done it myself.

ArmageddonOuttahere Sun 25-Sep-11 09:00:11

40 - that's the badger. RE puncture, I can't even ride a bloody bike blush

AlmaMartyr Sun 25-Sep-11 09:02:59

Yes, I can do both of those. I'm pretty sure that quite a few of my schoolmates couldn't though. I remember going on a residential and being the only one who could change a bed.

GentleOtter Sun 25-Sep-11 09:04:22

knots

We use some of these to keep our gates up tied shut.

Puncture mending always seemed to involve alchemy. There was French chalk, glue and sandpaper involved iirc.

The Cat's cradle knot/ thingy always baffled me.

Shanghaidiva Sun 25-Sep-11 09:05:59

Naturally - am a Queen's Guide - smug
Also over 40 - not so smug..

OneHandFlapping Sun 25-Sep-11 09:06:53

Can do a a reef knot, but not that one where the rabbit goes round the tree and down the hole, or some such.

I can also mend bike tyres - I had to learn at uni, due to the prevalence of bikes and absence of dosh.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 25-Sep-11 09:40:54

I think the reef knot example is a bit of a red herring, tbh. There are plenty of practical skills that children need to learn in order to prepare for adulthood and I think it's down to all of us, as parents, to pass as many of them on best we can. Whether it's mending a bike, cooking a meal, ironing a shirt or catching a bus solo, we let them down if we let them out into the world unable to take care of themselves.

Pavlovthecat Sun 25-Sep-11 09:42:33

onehand - bowline!

cookielove Sun 25-Sep-11 09:46:08

I can do both, parents sail and we were active kids on bikes in childhood - i am 29.

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 25-Sep-11 09:57:35

Agree with Cogito... Although, I can do the knots/bicycle tyre (am 46 and was also a Guide).

Acekicker Sun 25-Sep-11 12:36:57

Yep - learned in Brownies/Guides. I could also knock you up a washing up stand out of bits of wood should the need ever arise although after 3 days the bowl will inevitably fall through covering you in boiling hot scummy water.

bigbadbarry Sun 25-Sep-11 18:15:16

acekicker bet you know about welly sticks too? I can make a mean bedding rack from random sticks smile

Acekicker Sun 25-Sep-11 21:47:54

bigbadbarry smile - and don't forget four forked sticks and two long ones and you have a natty shoe rack as well grin

FrauLindor Sun 25-Sep-11 21:52:29

Yes, can tie a reef knot. It is necessary if you want to wear a silk scarf, otherwise the ends stick up oddly.

I do realise that I sound like a Boden-wearing priss writing that, but I have more need of a reef knot for scarf wearing than securing tents.

Cannot mend a puncture, but the bike shop where I bought my bike does it free so haven't had to.

First aid and cooking a meal seems to be of more use than puncture repairs and knots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now