Talk

Advanced search

A bit horrified.

(19 Posts)
alicatte Thu 22-Sep-11 17:31:21

My younger son has just come and told me that
1. Nick Clegg - apparently when he was 16 and drunk (which makes it worse I think not better as without his inhibitions this must have been what he really wanted to do) set light to a collection of plants made over many years belonging to an older person in Germany.

AND

2. David Cameron and Boris Johnson, whilst involved with the Bullingdon Club once hired a strings orchestra and then proceeded to smash all their instruments including some extremely precious and very old stringed instruments (this was again while drunk which kind of proves that they really wanted to do it - as it was at a time when their inhibitions had been overcome)

Now I know that sometimes the teenage blogosphere can get the wrong end of the stick and I am really hoping that this is the case here because I am PROFOUNDLY shocked at the sheer CRUELTY of their actions. Can anyone out there help me because I am reeling at this. It would change everything for me.

LeBOF Thu 22-Sep-11 17:33:07

I think they've done worse since, and sober.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 22-Sep-11 17:35:08

I have heard this too.

But they're alolowed coz they are rich and well educated.

Rioters aren't.

But I agree, they have done worse since they got into power (though I have a soft spot for Boris)

pictish Thu 22-Sep-11 17:35:21

What LaBOF said.

It comes as no surprise that these men should be destructive, entitled, arrogant and wasteful does it?

southeastastra Thu 22-Sep-11 17:35:49

agree with everyone so far

virgiltracey Thu 22-Sep-11 17:37:15

Why would it change everything for you?

And why do you think its worse if something is done when drunk. Not sure I follow your logic at all about it being what they really wanted to do because they were drunk hmm

mpsw Thu 22-Sep-11 17:40:36

The is no evidence whatsoever in this, and repeating twaddle just means getting sidetracked into paying the man, not the ball. Arguing about evidence-free, mischievous and malicious allegations over their pasts is a waste of both time and effort.

Could we leave the childish stuff to the children (rather telling that this is on the teen blogosphere, isn't it?), and perhaps look at the rather more important things that are happening in the economy and society?

alicatte Thu 22-Sep-11 17:50:06

because it seems so very cruel to smash someone's instrument or to destroy something important to someone. I also work with children/teens and know how unusual (overall) this sort of behaviour is. I want to know if it is true thats all. I have been a supporter of Boris in my time - is it true?

PotatoSkins Thu 22-Sep-11 17:52:23

I think it is all quite humerous really. I love boris though. Such a bumbling fool,

mpsw Thu 22-Sep-11 17:56:39

Of course it isn't true.

If it was, there would be authoritative accounts, not children's smear and innuendo.

No one, given all the lovely resources of our high-minded tabloid press, would be able to keep any such activities covered up. Absolutely none of this is sourced to anywhere credible.

It does of course serve to divert attention and give the coalition a much easier ride than they ought to be having, in the policy and administration areas which actually matter.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 17:58:44

Reeling? Bloody hell, you must lead a sheltered life

madwomanintheattic Thu 22-Sep-11 18:05:08

i think a 'bit' horrified is very funny. surely if you're horrified, you're horrified. there's no small measure.

i love boris.

i also think the 'it must be what they really wanted to do because they were drunk' thing is a load of old bolleaux.

and i've seen worse from teens/ young adults. if you're working with them and haven't heard of anything like it, i'm guessing you might need a career change - they really aren't opening up to you except to share dodgy teen gossip about politicians, which probably is fairly worthless in the long run.

and lol at 'is it true?' cos mn would know. <nods sagely>

PetiteRaleuse Thu 22-Sep-11 18:05:19

Articles about their time in the Bullingdon Club here , and hereand here

None of them tabloids

PetiteRaleuse Thu 22-Sep-11 18:07:44

And another one from the Times here and from he Telegraph here

(In case you thought I was just linking to left wing papers..)

mpsw Thu 22-Sep-11 18:12:18

None of those links carry any specific allegations. Because there are none with a shred of evidence, beyond the basic membership if the Bullingdon.

But it is a splendid way to keep attention away from the real issues.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 22-Sep-11 18:16:08

I don't see it as a way to keep attention away from the real issues. It's just fact. They have admitted to it. Boris Johnson mentions he was arrested in one of the articles.

No point in being blind to their faults. I am not saying they are evil men, just that there are a few double standards going on.

alicatte Thu 22-Sep-11 19:56:26

Just come back from Youth Orchestra (voluntary work - lots of scholarships - big society is my middle name) - thank you for your pointers Petite and for your courteous posts.

I guess I must live in a different world because I find twitter and mn invaluable sources of knowledge - someone always seems to turn up and point the way. My youngest told me about the Telegraph in the car so I had already seen that one on the phone but your other links were very interesting.

I am a 'BIT' disappointed in these men and sadly I guess as a result of my sheltered upbringing don't really see much to laugh at. I will have to mull all this over. I am definitely getting older but I hope I am still learning, I have never had much patience with double standards. Thank you again - this seems important to me, it feels important, evidently others disagree. I wonder if there are more like me or more like them. Hmmm.

EdithWeston Thu 22-Sep-11 20:07:00

Interesting: if you google "Boris Johnson arrested Bullingdon" it is that one article only that comes up making the claim.

There really doesn't seem to be anything substantiated here. I can see the attraction of the "story", but I don't see the point of going over and over a load of tosh when it's their actions now that matter.

alicatte Thu 22-Sep-11 20:23:08

I just have this subliminal concern that as the saying goes 'the best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour.' If I were at work I would have taken note and be trying to find a way to help to reframe/redirect the issue for a child so they could go on with self-respect (whilst of course helping them to come to terms with a part of themselves which exists) - that is why I want to know if it is true. It bothers me, it looks like bullying and if it happened then I will be feeding this knowledge into my view of their actions now and looking for this other dimension - writing this I realise that I am already doing so and that feels like loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now