Talk

Advanced search

Disabled people face routine abuse

(9 Posts)
hester Mon 12-Sep-11 08:37:49

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/sep/12/disabled-people-face-abuse-routinely

Not surprising, I suppose, but still shocking and deeply, deeply depressing.

crazynanna Mon 12-Sep-11 08:39:56

It disturbs me greatly.
Vanessa Feltz is highlighting this today on her radio show.

Riveninabingle Mon 12-Sep-11 10:16:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Triggles Tue 13-Sep-11 01:48:14

Sad. True. And... ignored, it seems. Which, of course, is why it continues anyway....

TheLadyEvenstar Tue 13-Sep-11 01:58:48

angry

2BoysTooLoud Tue 13-Sep-11 09:55:10

Until the whole of society view those with disabilities as 'equal' these crimes will continue. I am frequently horrified at the acceptance of abuse to those with learning disabilities. By 'acceptance' I mean lack of proportionate reaction/ almost shoulder shrugging/ what can we do reaction.
As op says - deeply depressing.

JLK2 Tue 13-Sep-11 15:42:00

When society views those with disabilities as 'equal', these crimes will still continue, because able-bodied people face abuse too.

2BoysTooLoud Tue 13-Sep-11 16:08:55

Perhaps I did not express myself well. It seems to me that crimes/abuse against people with learning disabilities is not taken as seriously/ condemned as utterly as other 'hate' crimes. Just an opinion/ observation.
May sometimes cause a flurry of interest and shock in the press but usually goes quiet very quickly.

aliceliddell Tue 13-Sep-11 16:17:16

Discrimination against disabled people is seen as 'natural' - if you can't get upstairs in a wheelchair, that's not the fault of the shop/council/railway station not being accessible, it's because of your disability. Like separate (worse) fountains/toilets for Black people in Apartheid, and women told they couldn't go to Oxbridge because there were no women's toilets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now