Talk

Advanced search

'Lab Chimps Laugh And Hug At Taste Of Freedom'

(8 Posts)
TheWorldKeepsSpinning Thu 08-Sep-11 20:18:22

I thought this was sad/happy/amazing all at once.
news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16064687

Hulababy Thu 08-Sep-11 20:24:42

I wonder why it has taken 13y since their rescue to allow them outside.

TheWorldKeepsSpinning Thu 08-Sep-11 20:27:06

That was exactly what I was thinking. They must have been in a really bad way? Still, 13 years? Really odd.

edam Fri 09-Sep-11 14:20:13

Oh, that's so poignant. Poor things - so glad they have tasted a little bit of freedom at very long last.

Testing shouldn't be allowed on apes at all IMO. In fact I'd like to see a proper plan for moving away from animal testing entirely, but we could start by banning it on the most perceptive and socially expressive animals first. (Yes I do realise there are some instances where it's useful to us, but many experiments are unnecessary. Me-too drugs, for instance. Testing should only be allowed when absolutely necessary. Currently we have a system that assumes animal testing rather than attempting to limit it.

wannabefree Mon 19-Sep-11 22:59:54

Awwww, poor buggers sad

StuntCubble Mon 19-Sep-11 23:08:18

That's so sad. Poor things. I just hate vivesection, it's also a bad idea Anyway think of the horrible results from testing phalidymide (sp) on rats who reabsorbed foetuses that were developing with problems.

StuntCubble Mon 19-Sep-11 23:09:17

When I say horrible results I mean unnessecarry not that those who suffered from phaldymide are horrible iyswim

mathanxiety Tue 20-Sep-11 06:04:38

Very moving. How timid they were at first.

It is hard to justify testing on animals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now