Talk

Advanced search

Travellers again - info for those who live near Crays Hill Dale Farm......

(17 Posts)
butterscotch Tue 06-Sep-11 21:20:52

I can't find the other thread I only go to page 39 of 41 and it was full....

Anyway I spoke to the community police officer to day at am event in the Coop in Wickford high street, it was about raising awareness of crime etc...

I was just popping to get some vino de plonk anyway they were just finishing so I hung around and asked about the travellers eviction, suspected impact on local areas... what we are supposed to do if they head to Runwell Hospital site (one they're have been rumours about) or any other fields/roadside...

the officer said basically call 999 (I was pretty shocked at this tbh) he said they will then be moved on...

He said the council and the police are still neogiating with them and have a number of options the last resort is to start the eviction on 19/9.

He said even if they don't take any of the options (they have been offered housing and other site options before anyone jumps down my neck!), they have other "bargaining tools" to try and deal with the site peacefully.

He said part of the reason the case has dragged out the last two years (since prescott gave them 2yrs to go) is because they have refused the various options and this is the final stage, he also said that it won't all happen on the 19/9.

The police and authorities believe that as they have children, and vunerable people it takes time to gather them to move so they will be given a few days, before they start the eviction (which is the last course of action).

I asked aboout traffic going on the London Road towards Billericay from Wickford (not 127 backroad through Crays Hill) he said that Oak Road to leading to Oak Lane will have road closures but should be business as usual!

Before any "pro travellers" I have no issue with the ones nearer to where I live two of the children were in my dd's preschool and one of them is going upto school this year with her..... so I am not anti traveller but if you knew the local issues we have had with Crays Hill and it was on your doorstep you wouldn't like it!

as I can't find the other thread I know curryspice was local to me can't remember all the others. Hope the information helps, they travellers have been and continue to be given different options so fingers crossed its a peaceful move off and nobody on either side is hurt!

as you were..

SarahStratton Tue 06-Sep-11 21:40:27

Here is the other thread for you. And thank you for the info.

AttillaTheMum Tue 06-Sep-11 22:04:05

Thank you.

Saw the police there today, never considered asking!

butterscotch Tue 06-Sep-11 22:23:07

Thanks SarahStratton that must be a secondary post the first was 41 pages long! Will catch up on the latest I do find it fascinating!

AryaStark Tue 06-Sep-11 22:26:32

Thank you for this. I've seen the huge blocks of masonry being hauled above the only point where the poor people driving the bulldozers will have to enter but no more detail so far.

Let us hope that the vulnerable elderly and children will eventually be taken to a safe place and not used as human shields.

fargate Tue 06-Sep-11 22:33:07

I don't live anywhere near Dale Farm - do you mind if I ask how far it is between there and Runwell Hospital? ie within the 10 miles mentioned by one of the travellers, on TV.

Runwell used to be fairly isolated. Is that still the case?

SarahStratton Tue 06-Sep-11 22:40:34

I'd heard about those blocks Arya sad

I've also been told that they are lining the perimeter with gas cannisters/tanks and planning on using the children as human shields.

AryaStark Tue 06-Sep-11 22:41:15

I did a Google Street View search the other day and the pictures were worth a thousand words. Lovely brick-built fences around the caravans and bungalows yet not two metres away on the road going in, kicked in council fences and litter and crap everywhere. NIMBY indeed!

AryaStark Tue 06-Sep-11 22:43:38

Sarah the masonry blocks have been hauled up tens of feet not to be used as weapons you know hmm but to keep tarpaulin in place apparently.

It has to be done but I am dreading what it going to happen.

butterscotch Tue 06-Sep-11 22:51:12

Fargate I'm runwell village its near enough for me to worry as crays hill is Basildon Council but Runwell is Chelmsford Council as one of my questions to the police was about them moving them to a different council ....

fargate Tue 06-Sep-11 23:30:06

Must be very worrying for you not knowing what might happen sad

I'm still hopeful that the situation can be peacefully resolved and not just moved somewhere else nearby. I appreciate that this is a minority POV.

Hope for the best.

ddubsgirl Tue 06-Sep-11 23:37:36

a load got kicked off in wild park in brighton and they just moved to waterhall sad and a few done on the seafront now too,bloody crap left all over,animals running wild etc

Teachermumof3 Wed 07-Sep-11 13:38:06

The local paper seems to suggest that they'll just move 5 meters and all live on the bit they do have planning permission for if they're evicted!?

How come one bit is Greenbelt and can't be developed, but the other can be-is that not Greenbelt?

http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/9234619.Essex__Legal_part_of_Dale_Farm_travellers__site_is_almost_empty/

Butterscotch-what did the police say about them mocing to a different council?

butterscotch Wed 07-Sep-11 17:49:59

Nothing teachermumof3 he said they wouldn't just be moved in one lump they would try to disperse them......

However don't know if your aware there is a protest march in Wickford for the gypsys (they are calling themselves gypsys) I found out as my mate works for a store in the high streets head office and the store have asked for extra security on Sat!!!

Teachermumof3 Wed 07-Sep-11 19:02:08

Really-eeek! Are there many people in Wickford who are supporting them or is it mainly the Travellers themselves plus incoming 'jump on a bandwagon' people who are protesting?

butterscotch Wed 07-Sep-11 23:22:13

Dont know I am just glad we are away for the weekend but my friends company are probably going to close the store to minimise the risk to their staff as previous protests with the gypsys have turned to nightmares....

Wickford as a town has some bizzare planning laws the high street and all that bit of town come under Basildon, but they arne't allowed any more pubs/licenses because they don't want to encourage drink culture... the towns either side Billericay and Rayleigh have loads of pubs/restuarants and cafes etc.... but wickford has some weird caveats on planning for the town ...

butterscotch Wed 07-Sep-11 23:34:54

Sorry meant to say that i think it is because wickford high street is bigger than billericay and slightly nearer...

i very much doubt anyone in wickford is supporting them we have been impacted massively the drain covers is a real PITA and keeps happening.....

I think it is them and the "add-on" supporters who don't really understand thw whole situation tbh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now