Talk

Advanced search

One military style school and one where parents can park their children 51 weeks per year ...

(12 Posts)
dikkertjedap Sun 04-Sep-11 10:47:56

What a good start to the free schools concept .... and then we are surprised that we live in a society close to social and moral breakdown. Is this really the way to treat our children?

Greythorne Sun 04-Sep-11 10:50:28

Link, please.

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 04-Sep-11 10:51:44

Any idea of the fees? grin

HoneyPablo Sun 04-Sep-11 10:52:41

Maybe we can just combine the 2 ideas and raise a generation of perfect children?

cleanandclothed Sun 04-Sep-11 10:54:03

I think 51 weeks a year is a great idea. Gives better continuity and stability to a child imo than school plus childminder plus holiday club etc etc

Playingwithbuses Sun 04-Sep-11 10:54:35

Ooh like the sound of that where are these schools, hope the fees are not too high wink

dikkertjedap Sun 04-Sep-11 10:59:54

The 51 weeks school is discussed in yesterday's Times. The military school here

dikkertjedap Sun 04-Sep-11 11:01:48

The 51 week school is also very briefly mentioned here but there is a long article in yesterday's Times. Boy, what a sad society we live in ...

DollyTwat Sun 04-Sep-11 11:05:32

My son could do with a couple of weeks at military school
Where do I sign up?

Georgimama Sun 04-Sep-11 11:08:35

I reckon DS would love military school.

Georgimama Sun 04-Sep-11 11:11:22

On a more serious note, this is a quote from the founder:

If the plans went ahead, Mr Burkard said the school would also use military-style discipline, which he said many people were opposed to because they did not understand it.

Most people in this country think of military discipline from the standpoint of what it was like under national service," he said.

If you have to use your sticks all the time, you are doing something wrong.

The job of the officer and the NCO is to enlist the enthusiasm to perform difficult tasks under demanding circumstances.

We think these skills in being able to motivate those who come from difficult areas is the one quality which is going to keep kids out of gang culture.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 04-Sep-11 11:22:02

I don't see the problem with a military-style approach at all. There are already quite a lot of parents that actively seek out schools with a strong disciplinary ethos & a high proportion of male teachers because they feel their children, especially sons, would benefit.

And as for schools open 51 weeks... quite a few schools offer wraparound childcare, holiday clubs etc. You may be one of the rich/lucky sorts that can be home 24/7 but working parents on 20 days holiday a year need affordable childcare outside of term time. Frankly, I think it's a pretty cheap shot to tut about it being 'sad' or blame childcare for 'social & moral breakdown'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now