Talk

Advanced search

'Belt'-type skirts banned from school uniform

(14 Posts)
SpeedyGonzalez Tue 23-Aug-11 23:34:55

here Good on those school heads. Pushing the boundaries is of course what the teenage years is all about, but there are boundaries and then there's vagina. I think it's right to draw the line - preferably more than an inch below the knickers.

I find this article odd. The journalist compares teenaged girls flashing their fanjos in a beltskirt to the wearing of a kipper tie. Did he forget to switch his brain on before writing? confused

He also drew a comparison with the behaviour of real, human children and those featured in The Beano. I think the answer to the above question is 'yes'.

IMO the ban is a good idea but a better approach would have been to hold a school-wide discussion on the sexualisation of our culture and the ramifications for teenaged girls who are choosing to wear these beltskirts. I'd hope that that would get the girls to think more about the choices they make - if not now, then a few years down the line.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 24-Aug-11 10:54:13

DD is starting at a junior school with a strict uniform policy. Her next school is even stricter. There is a ban on some sort of trouser for girls, the reason I was told was to stop the camel toe look.
It seems, these trousers can be pulled up so far that the lips of their vag's are made more pronounced.

Hassled Wed 24-Aug-11 10:59:37

grin at "there are boundaries and then there's vagina". Bizarre article - journalist gives an impression that Grange Hill was real. Am very impressed with 12 year old boy wearing a skirt in protest at not being allowed shorts - good for him.

I don't think this is a battle that any Head will win - ban skirts and yes, the trousers will become the thing to tweak. Or there'll be something else.

BooBooGlass Wed 24-Aug-11 11:00:17

And with that vile pronouncement, I do hereby declare you are a man. Vile. No school on earth would ban trousers on the grounds of 'camel toe'. And 'vag', really? I take it back. Clearly a 14 year old boy hmm

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 24-Aug-11 11:01:45

Sorry BooBoo, I am a 47 YO woman. I did point out I had heard that was the reason, I didn't claim it was true.

SpeedyGonzalez Wed 24-Aug-11 19:51:27

Oh good god, "camel toe"? <<boak>>

I agree that Heads can't hope to win this battle, but they should certainly do their best to help these girls to think.

Pedallleur Wed 24-Aug-11 21:06:54

Some years back, the head of a local Girls independent school answered criticism of her pupils wearing v. short skirts by pointing out the girls were rolling the waistband over to create the desired length once they were off the school premises. Not really anything she could do but appeal to the girls to 'behave'

hocuspontas Wed 24-Aug-11 21:12:10

Unisex culottes and trousers, it's the only way. Everyone in culottes/shorts in the summer term and everyone in standard trousers in the winter term. Sorted.

CustardCake Thu 25-Aug-11 16:04:44

I remember having uniform inspections all kneeling in a row. If your skirt wasn't touching the ground you got sent home.

Pedallleur Thu 25-Aug-11 22:19:18

A friend of mine went to a Catholic girls school some 45 years ago where patent/shiny leather shoes were not permitted as there might be a chance of 'knicker reflection'

mathanxiety Sun 04-Sep-11 00:10:35

Some of my DCs went to a US high school where there was no uniform except school issued gym uniform which was unisex and school issued swimwear which was not (speedo style 1 piece for girls and speedo style tighties for boys). The swimwear was boiled daily to disinfect it, and you got whatever was available according to your place in line at the start of class. There was a rule against bare midriffs and offensive slogans or words on clothing. Clothing that could be categorised as underwear could not be worn as outerwear. Offensive was in the eye of a teacher, generally meant sexist, racist, bigoted. Offenders were forced to wear a school t-shirt over whatever they had worn to school. No head covering allowed either except for yarmulkes and hijabs.

Uniform problem solved. (Lateness to swimming class problem solved too)

ChippingIn Sun 04-Sep-11 00:15:19

Custard - we had to do that, the funny thing was though in an effort to get them somewhere near the floor (when kneeling down obviously!) they were in danger of being indecent at the top grin

madhattershouse Sun 04-Sep-11 00:18:42

The thing i don't get is our schools uniform rule that skirts can't be more than 5cm below the knee. I get the reason for the no more than 5cm above the knee but I remember wearing skirts to the ankle (80's) why is longer frowned apon?

ErnesttheBavarian Wed 14-Sep-11 08:41:48

I used to like my school uniform, and certainly miss the ease of getting dressed in the mornings.

but, save all the arguments, have no uniform. simple. my ds go to school in germany. no uniform here. and actually, very few girls wear short skirts. actually, none at all that I've noticed.

I don't know any schools with uniform here. imo, either have the uniform, have rules and stick to it, or just do away with it. Allowing the kids to take the piss so much makes it look far worse than none at all, surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now