Talk

Advanced search

Indian couple sacked because the wife married below her caste.. in the UK.

(8 Posts)
GenericNameChange Thu 18-Aug-11 02:57:18

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026939/Indian-couple-lost-jobs-forbidden-love-centre-caste-discrimination-tribunal.html

This is really sad to read. Mainly because I used to work with them at said firm and they were both lovely. Shocked when I saw it on the DM website today.

Is caste racism really still alive and kicking today in the UK when the system was abolished in India 60 years ago? My knowledge of castes is limited and I don't really understand the "untouchable" classes (despite several attempts of reading about them online blush).

I know nothing about the firm's position on castes either I would like to point out!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 18-Aug-11 10:38:00

Of course racism and discrimination of all kinds exists in the UK. That's why we give employees the right to take their employers to tribunals. By doing so, employers are less likely to take a risk with similar attitudes in the future.

MrsRhettButler Thu 18-Aug-11 10:43:54

That is shocking! sad

limitedperiodonly Thu 18-Aug-11 16:44:22

I read that and while knowing that evidence is yet to come was unimpressed that the firm's comment was that the case was 'outrageous'.

If they represented me I'd be expecting a defence that was a little more sober.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Aug-11 16:52:17

Well, he was sacked last year, and they married three years ago, so perhaps it's not as clear-cut as him being sacked for marrying above his caste?

It does sound like colleagues were very negative about their relationship, which was clearly wrong behaviour on their part, but surely something else has happened in the two years between the wedding and the sacking?

Pendeen Sat 20-Aug-11 01:06:53

Mr Begraj is claiming wrongful dismissal and his wife is claiming unfair constructive dismissal

How heartwarming to see that a firm of sleazy ambulance-chasing solicitors has been subjected to the avaricious legal claims that afflict the rest of society.

Ripeberry Tue 30-Aug-11 20:23:50

And they call white people racist!

maypole1 Tue 30-Aug-11 21:24:18

Who is they ???????

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: