Talk

Advanced search

Charles and Camilla meet people who lost everything during the riots.

(21 Posts)
adamschic Wed 17-Aug-11 22:23:29

Just caught the tail end of the news report, with Charles and Camilla, talking to people who's homes were burnt down during the riots.

I'm no royalist, but respect to Charles. Whilst he was very sympathetic towards the victims he also spoke sense about the rioters and the underlying reasons behind the gangs etc. Such a refreshing change from what is happening in the courts and from what Cameron and co are spouting.

It's not lipservice as Charles has always wanted to help young people via his charities. I hope he has a word with the powers that be.

Also impressed as his car was jostled during the student riots.

adamschic Wed 17-Aug-11 22:33:26

Did no-one see it? No-one care?

A few people on the riot threads were asking when the royal family would make an appearance.

NormanTheForeman Wed 17-Aug-11 22:34:53

Do you have a link?

EdithWeston Wed 17-Aug-11 22:35:57

I thought I caught on an earlier bulletin that The Prince's Trust is actively involved in the clean up. Another unsung Good Thing.

2shoes Wed 17-Aug-11 22:37:17

i saw it and tbh I would have liked him to have put his money into helping the poor people who lost everything, rather than making victims of the rioters.

LegoStuckinMyhoover Wed 17-Aug-11 22:38:46

I agree. He was more sensitive to the situation. Not sure about this 'national service' thing though?

MrsSnaplegs Wed 17-Aug-11 22:40:22

Did comment to my DH if I had to do the general handshaking things they do I would be royally pissed off with looking at the backs of people's phones as I spoke to them, is it me or is it not very rude to be taking a photo on your phone as you shake the next king of England's hand?

EdithWeston Wed 17-Aug-11 22:40:26

Here's the Prince's Trust statement about what it's doing.

And I hadn't realised the charity's business set-up programme had been set up following conversations with young people in the aftermath of the Brixton and Toxteth riots. It's done a lot of good over the years.

adamschic Wed 17-Aug-11 22:40:59

No link, sorry, just caught it on TV at the end of news at ten.

Yes, it was to do with the clean up and also that he wants to set up more charities to give these kids a purpose, once they get out of prison, of course wink.

adamschic Wed 17-Aug-11 22:42:47

hmm not sure about the national service either, will need to listen to it again.

2shoes Wed 17-Aug-11 22:43:50

is anyone helping the people who were hurt and affected by the riots?

EdithWeston Wed 17-Aug-11 22:44:11

"I would have liked him to have put his money into helping the poor people who lost everything"

Personal donations are never publicised so we'll never know. The Prince's Trust says it has put in £1m immediately and has started a new fund-raising drive for a further £1.5m.

2shoes Wed 17-Aug-11 22:49:17

but sin't that for the rioters?

fivegomadindorset Wed 17-Aug-11 22:52:17

As far as I can tell for people who have been affected by the riots, so no not the riotors.

EdithWeston Wed 17-Aug-11 22:55:29

I thought it was for rebuilding communities, which I think has to be a good thing.

And if it helps draw attention to all the things that The Trust can do for young people, so much the better.

2shoes Wed 17-Aug-11 23:03:56

glad I got it wrong

MollieO Wed 17-Aug-11 23:09:43

The Evening Standard in London is being very active in reporting on those affected and thereby encouraging people to raise money for shopkeepers etc.

tallwivglasses Wed 17-Aug-11 23:16:11

how generous of our future king <bows low>

adamschic Wed 17-Aug-11 23:22:41

Tallwiv, point taken, just was pleased to feel a tiny bit heartened by his opinions rather than outraged by our government and the general bigots public opinion.

Of course, I know what the royal family represent and their privileges.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 18-Aug-11 08:26:46

Tallwivglasses... you can look down your nose at the actions of Prince Charles but he's setting an example to other wealthy people that they should step up to the plate and help out financially.

tallwivglasses Fri 19-Aug-11 22:09:36

Only just seen your responses, adams and Cogito. Fair do's. I feel a bit sorry for him tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now