Advanced search

Watch David Starkey on Newsnight now

(135 Posts)
forehead Fri 12-Aug-11 22:50:15

What a bigot

rhetorician Fri 12-Aug-11 22:53:27

absolutely incredible, isn't he?

rhetorician Fri 12-Aug-11 22:54:05

managed to make the fact that the rioters were from all races into a problem of 'black culture'. OMG.

LemonEmmaP Fri 12-Aug-11 22:54:13

I'm struggling to watch him

AitchTwoOh Fri 12-Aug-11 22:54:35

what did he say? did he draw on dream school?

MollieO Fri 12-Aug-11 22:55:10

I think it shows how he really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

forehead Fri 12-Aug-11 22:56:07

This is the of racism that black people face. White people loot, so it's the fault of black people. The young chap is brilliant

BelleCurve Fri 12-Aug-11 23:02:43

Important glad i wasn't the only one furious

BelleCurve Fri 12-Aug-11 23:13:45

I called bbc to complain. He shouldn't be allowed to makeep such racist comments

BMW6 Fri 12-Aug-11 23:15:07

Erm - a disproportionate number of the looters (they were NOT rioting) were indeed black. There were of course white, Asian etc as well, but the unpalatable truth is that the majority, in these instances, were Afro-Caribbean. Thats the stats and the evidence of one's own eyes!

BelleCurve Fri 12-Aug-11 23:17:31

How do you know that ? Most had faces covered?

organicgardener Fri 12-Aug-11 23:19:09

The first night of looting was committed by a black majority from what I saw.

I can go further and say that I noticed the majority were male.

By the second night the racial profile was mixed.

BelleCurve Fri 12-Aug-11 23:19:54

I could just as easily say the majority of looters had size 9 feet. Nobody knows for sure and why is it relevant?

Blueberties Fri 12-Aug-11 23:25:10

I think you have a choice: you either believe it's a black culture problem and then you can perhaps say that the reasons are alienation and racism, or you say it's not a black culture problem but then you can't say what happened was to do with alienation and racism.

You can't say it's irrelevant then say it's to do with alienation of the black community and racism which need tackling.

You can't say it's relevant and then ignore the sequitur that it probably has something to do with alienation and racism.

Blueberties Fri 12-Aug-11 23:26:17

Anyway I didn't see this as a race thing myself, just a selfish thing. If the numbers quoteed are true then I am surprised.

AitchTwoOh Fri 12-Aug-11 23:26:22

or it might be a poverty problem and black people might be disproportionately poor in which case -wtf? it's 2011.

Blueberties Fri 12-Aug-11 23:27:49

Yes you could say that but that would mean agreeing with DS that it's a black culture problem.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 12-Aug-11 23:29:35

A disproportionate number of the rioters were male.

They shoudln't be allowed.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 12-Aug-11 23:30:16

A disproportionate number of the rioters were southerners.

Fecking southerners.

AitchTwoOh Fri 12-Aug-11 23:30:49

but they were, though, and it's worth looking at that too.

nothng will be done, though. just a lot of hot air, all this.

BMW6 Fri 12-Aug-11 23:31:53

I wonder if the "Gangsta" culture is at the heart of this

Blueberties Fri 12-Aug-11 23:32:41

Stupidity I think, more than anything. Stupidity coupled with impunity.

organicgardener Fri 12-Aug-11 23:34:43

straight talking??

The USA are worried now but they have it covered?

forehead Fri 12-Aug-11 23:41:27

In Manchester the majority were white, should we all then criminalise all white Mancunians(?).
My problem with Starkey's view, was the fact that he suggested that the white rioters were 'copying' black culture, speaking in 'patois' and wearing hoodies fgs and involving themselves in criminal behaviour. Therefore black means bad.
The interesting thing about the riots, is the fact that it has exposed the racism which many have denied exists in British society.
David Starkey should know better fgs, he is gay and therefore must have experienced prejudice.

organicgardener Fri 12-Aug-11 23:56:50

88% of the population in England are White.

The percentage of Blacks on the streets was much higher we can't ignore that.

But saying that we can't just use stats as a way of ignoring why this happened and ignore the fact that a large number of other races took part in the looting/rioting etc.

Pointing fingers vindictively at any given race wont solve the social economical catalysts for the behaviour of this minority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now