Talk

Advanced search

Where will they go?

(265 Posts)
WonkyDonkeys Thu 11-Aug-11 15:15:00

In this article about the Nottingham riots (specifically about an 11yo girl being charged, but that's a whole other thread), it says:

"^The city council has also said it will seek to evict any council tenants found to have taken part in the trouble^."

So... they will be out on the street then?!

Not sure this is the right approach...

WonkyDonkeys Thu 11-Aug-11 15:15:31

blush messed up italics

lubeybooby Thu 11-Aug-11 15:18:29

Well I would have thought they will end up in emergency accomodation (if they have children) and then have to find a privately rented place. People with kids won't be left with streets or nothing as an option.

If any young men or women without children have managed to get a council place and get evicted though then I think it would be private rent, crash with friends or street.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 11-Aug-11 15:19:23

I suppose they'll be taking advantage of the situation to remove anyone they've already got down as a nuisance neighbour. Not sure where they'd go exactly, but presumably the same problem presents itself when people are evicted for other reasons.

WonkyDonkeys Thu 11-Aug-11 15:25:22

105 people have been arrested. That's a lot to just chuck out onto the street? Surely there's only so much emergency accommodation? If they do manage to get a private rent, it will be the council paying for it, and I should imagine it will cost them a lot more?

Shitter Thu 11-Aug-11 15:30:09

who the hell cares what happens to them. I am sure someone else would be extremely grateful for a room over their heads. And maybe those thugs can see what it is like to be homeless, just like the people whom they have made homeless by burning their properties down.

I couldn't give a damn what happens to them. Behave inhumanely, get treated the same.

WonkyDonkeys Thu 11-Aug-11 15:32:01

Oh I don't care about them being homeless... but I can't see it as the answer? Not sure what the answer is though, they'll just be continually rotated round 'the system' I suppose.

Shitter Thu 11-Aug-11 15:33:33

And 3 months without any type of benefit if they are not working. That money could go to help their victims.

GypsyMoth Thu 11-Aug-11 17:55:24

105 people arrested....yes.....but why are you assuming that they are ALL in social housing??hmm

Shitter Thu 11-Aug-11 18:50:53

I don't think anyone is assuming they are all in social housing, but those who are, should be thrown out. Fuck'em , as that is their view on anyone else.

GypsyMoth Thu 11-Aug-11 19:02:55

and homeowners? what punishment?

Shitter Thu 11-Aug-11 19:07:12

no idea, but it should be punishment of equal measure.

GypsyMoth Thu 11-Aug-11 19:09:03

increased council tax for ll might be fairer....untill costs of riots is repaid

GypsyMoth Thu 11-Aug-11 19:09:27

*all

Shitter Thu 11-Aug-11 19:12:47

yes, good point Tiff. I have no idea how they are really going to deal with this, or even follow it through. But I do hope they should be accountable for their actions rather than slapped wrists.

Perhaps they should be forced to help with the re-build of those properties they have razed to the ground. Or work unpaid in the stores they have looted (not sure that there would be much stock with them working there though).

But they should all me made to suffer.

MilaMae Thu 11-Aug-11 19:16:38

If my dp was involved in the riots he'd loose his job and we'd be homeless as we couldn't pay the mortgage.

We'd "be out on the street" end of and nobody would care two hoots.Right approach or not it's life.

Thankfully dp is a law abiding citizen so loosing his job for anti social behaviour won't happen.

You do the crime you do the time or should these people get preferential treatment?hmm

meditrina Thu 11-Aug-11 19:20:46

Many councils already have provision for evictions for anti-social behaviour or criminality and use these provisions. So the same would happen to the people who, following the riots, fit their locality's eviction criteria.

I'd say that if the role in the riot was the burning or smashing up of the neighbourhood, then that fits both anti-social and criminal criteria pretty well.

maypole1 Thu 11-Aug-11 21:01:13

Shitter amen they they really will be able to plead poverty

ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 11-Aug-11 22:33:21

Shitter (charming name, BTW hmm) - how, in any way, is turfing people out onto the streets going to help bring an end to this sort of anti-social behaviour?

And I think you'll find that the courts are going to throw the book at individuals convicted of criminal damage, looting, burglary and so on. Why does every DM reader one assume that they're just going to get slapped wrists?

AmberLeaf Thu 11-Aug-11 22:53:19

Yh the assumption that all rioters/looters must be social housing tenants is pissing me off.

hellospoon Thu 11-Aug-11 23:01:29

Alot of the looters and rioters that have been in court are being shown to be professional people!

I think they should build a great big warehouse fill it with beds, a kitchen, some loos and let the fuckers get on with it. Let them destroy each other.

No benefits and no help. Make them fend for themselves

GypsyMoth Thu 11-Aug-11 23:02:18

so what is causing proffesional people to loot and riot?

hellospoon Fri 12-Aug-11 00:03:06

Don't know tiffany! I just saw on the news that a lot of the looters that have been brought to courts have jobs and 'normal' lives.

WonkyDonkeys Fri 12-Aug-11 08:44:14

The areas that were affected have a considerable amount of social housing - I would bet my life that the majority are housed by the council. It's one thing saying the majority of the rioters are probably in social housing and quite another to say all people in social housing are rioters, not sure why there is an outrage.

hellospoon - I think the media have been picking out the more 'unusual' cases as it makes a better read. Look at all the hype over the millionaires daughter.

MilaMae - you make a very good point. However, you're employer wouldn't say, "well you've been evicted, so here's some money towards renting a house".

I think 'the system' should cut them out. Completely. I like your idea hellospoon

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Fri 12-Aug-11 10:34:20

It actually costs more to have them in temporary accomadation. Private rents cost more than council rents. If they have no roof over their head or income at all at all they will be even more likely to turn to crime to survive.

I'm no bleeding heart when it comes to crime but this is counter-productive. Unless you put someone away for life then you need to rehabilitate them back into society. Homelessness does this how?

If you couldn't pay your mortgage and were made homeless you would also be eligible for assistance so that argument is neither here nor there really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now