Talk

Advanced search

is it at all possible to disagree with any of this?

(15 Posts)
archieleach Thu 11-Aug-11 07:04:34

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2024690/UK-riots-2011-Britains-liberal-intelligentsia-smashed-virtually-social-value.html

Not in the habit of reading the DM and there are more points to add and perhaps a slightly different slant would appeal to some, but really only someone who was deeply stupid, naive, very badly educated or with vested interests could possibly disagree with this

Reality Thu 11-Aug-11 07:14:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummytime Thu 11-Aug-11 07:34:03

I would describe myself as liberal intelligentsia, but I've never done drugs, and my kids know stealing is wrong etc etc. I don't think the looters/rioters are mainly middle class kids to be honest.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 11-Aug-11 07:39:19

Reality, have I mentioned I love you recently?

TanteRose Thu 11-Aug-11 07:41:40

Love it! Mel says....get the Christian clergy to start preaching hellfire and damnation, and all will be well grin

tis most amusing...

btw, wtf is this doing in Relationships confused

iklboo Thu 11-Aug-11 07:44:15

The looters in Salford are definitely not middle class.

Reality Thu 11-Aug-11 07:48:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TillyIpswitch Thu 11-Aug-11 07:58:13

Leave the fucker.

But seriously... Why on earth would you think everyone would agree with this? Since when has the entire population been made up of right-wing nutjobs?

LittleHousebytheRiver Thu 11-Aug-11 08:04:48

This is a red flag. It would be impossible to have a decent relationship with someone who agreed with the OP. Although no doubt they would prefer a blue flag!

myfriendflicka Thu 11-Aug-11 08:06:52

Melanie Philips probably wrote that post (the first one). Or, more likely, someone more junior from the features desk "acting on instructions".

Bit difficult for MNHQ to eliminate that kind of thing, people can make themselves anonymous on the internet a bit too easily. Pity they posted in the wrong place, I expect they meant to put it in AIBU.

Mumsnet is powerful and seen as another arena to be influenced. Threads like this will be kept an eye on.

Unfortunately, you can't blame this sort of rubbish on the Daily Mail alone. Powerful sections of the media don't act by themselves, as the phone hacking scandal graphically revealed.

Right wing politicians and the right wing media are in bed with each other and always have been.

If you imagine that senior Tories DON"T keep in regular contact with senior editorial figures at the Mail and other papers like it, you are being dangerously naive. The Tories use papers like the Mail to get out its own messages, as it is seen as a hotline to Middle England and very influential. It can then be used to justify policy.

The Mail, in return, gets "leaks", "tips" and "stories" from the heart of government before anyone else and a chance to influence policy in line with Associated Newspapers' agenda, which is basically an end to the welfare state/public sector, because it costs rich people a lot of money in tax.

Whoever is editing will have come into the editorial morning meeting yesterday with "suggestions" for the features editor and columnists like Philips. They may or may not reveal where they came from - or who they were "agreed" with.

Exactly what is going to be said in an article like that one, and all the points to be made, will be gone through, one by one. Whoever is editing (and probably more senior figures at Derry Street than the editor also) will be reading the page proof before it goes to make sure it is exactly as they think it should be.

Only connect. And don't see the Mail in isolation, it's a lot more dangerous than you think, and part of something much bigger.

PS By the way, what do people think would happen if lone mothers were not bringing up children after relationships fail?

jkklpu Thu 11-Aug-11 08:10:58

Breathtaking. Lots of blame being slung around here and not many solutions being proposed, unless I've missed something.
And one of those nonsensical little homilies about how wonderful Britain was at some unspecified moment in the past:

"Britain was once an ordered society that was the envy of the world — the most civilised, the most gentle and law-abiding."

Not sure anyone in Ireland, India, the East End of Glasgow or a whol lot of other places would necessarily agree.

kyotokate Thu 11-Aug-11 08:34:47

OP are you a journalist looking for reactions from mumsnetters. If you are I suggest you just disappear.
As has already been asked WTF has this to do with relationships.

Whatmeworry Thu 11-Aug-11 08:52:10

I take it this is not advising a "hug a hoodie" relationship

(trying hard to find reasons why anyone would post this here unless it was a daily fail intern or something)

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Aug-11 14:00:02

Hello. We're going to move this thread to In the News, as we don't think the Relationships forum is really the best place for it.

working9while5 Thu 11-Aug-11 16:08:58

All of this was compounded still further by the disaster of multiculturalism — the doctrine which held that no culture could be considered superior to any other because that was ‘racist’.

Erm, yes. Considering that one culture is superior to another is usually bigoted. Shocking, that.

It is obviously so beneficial for women that they are more likely to find themselves raising children alone, it's such a reward to have no man around. So hard for the men, too... they would much rather take proper responsibility and really, Harriet Harman is the root of all evil and reason for men not committing to their families.

Why I have never seen this before????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now