Talk

Advanced search

Human rights for the looters are more important...why should police bother?

(43 Posts)
bkgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 17:36:59

Lets face it, our legal system is so corrupt that it is a simple fact that the aggressors have more rights than the victims. This way the legal profession makes sack fills of dosh and the rest of us are toast.

What is point of police or anyone else doing anything....the cat is out of the bag.....these aggressors know they will get away with at the most a verbal wrap on the knuckles.

Problem is it all builds up to such a crescendo that society breaks down.

I am so sorry for all those innocents intimidated/robbed/threatened and really wish those human rights lawyers would get a conscience.

PS. If channel bleeding 4 apologises for the looters once more (poor them, their social centre was shut down) so help me I will start a boycott.

ZZZenAgain Tue 09-Aug-11 17:37:57

well all I keep hearingis that we are about to experience "robust policing"

GypsyMoth Tue 09-Aug-11 17:40:21

greenwich council have reported that anyone of their tenants involved in the rioting will be evicted!!

bkgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 17:43:38

Ilovetiffany - does that mean their kids as well? Brilliant if so...get them out......now isn't there a nice wee island or two in the hebrides that are empty?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Aug-11 18:14:56

"these aggressors know they will get away with at the most a verbal wrap on the knuckles."

The first ones to be convicted at Magistrates Court are being referred to Crown Court for sentencing. This is because Crown Courts can hand down tougher sentences. Offences of burglary, for example, when set in the context of a more general riot situation attract much higher penalties. Raps on knuckles it won't be... viz the student demo sentences.

throckenholt Tue 09-Aug-11 18:17:46

Once you step outside the law you have forfeited your right I think. I wonder why they haven't used teargas on looters ?

None of it seems to have any real reason apart from opportunism and the thrill of it all.

storytopper Tue 09-Aug-11 18:30:55

bkgirl - there have been no riots in Scotland (yet) - so please don't send rioters to the Hebrides!

DeWe Tue 09-Aug-11 18:42:58

Maybe Australia like we used to? grin ... or perhaps Mars would be better.

bkgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 19:03:53

lol storytopper...surely you could spare one wee uninhabited island? It doesn't need shops after all!

AnaisB Tue 09-Aug-11 19:05:49

I'm pretty sure The Human Rights Act will not used to in that way. I imagine that if there are few custodial sentences handed out it will be related to prisons being full or to beliefs about the effectiveness of prisons in preventing re-offending.

bkgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 19:25:53

AnaisB that is exactly what I expect, the rioters will get non-custodial sentences because there aren't enough places with sky and pool tables to lock them up,so even though they may have burnt down a building/business worth £500k, the poor things deserve to be looked after like little spoilt brats or else set them free and understand they have had a tough upbringing. Sorry it is just bull.

Best thing I heard of was when a lawyer who defended these scumbags got robbed herself. Sure she was only doing her job but it made her very rich on the backs of many hurt and frightened people.Boy did she learn!!!!

SardineQueen Tue 09-Aug-11 19:36:45

bkgirl why are you rubbing your hands gleefully at the idea of children being made homeless?

I understand the anger towards the rioters and looters, obviously, but I think extending that anger towards young children is a bit odd if I'm honest.

brettgirl2 Tue 09-Aug-11 19:38:57

On the news just watched group of thugs vandalising a van with police watching. Hosepipes are the way forward not a line of spectators with shields.

GypsyMoth Tue 09-Aug-11 19:39:58

i think bkgirl means the kids as in the kids who are rioting!! of course very sad if younger siblings are caught up in it all. you would hope the threat of being homeless would be enough for the parents to put their foot down and keep them in!!

SardineQueen Tue 09-Aug-11 19:42:28

That's not what she said at all tiffany.

storytopper Tue 09-Aug-11 19:46:57

Might make a good "reality" TV programme to stick all the rioters on a Hebridean island with a few sacks of flour and some packets of seeds to grow their own food.

They might stop complaining about their terrible lives in the big cities and they might lose their taste for stealing mobile phones, laptops, plasma TVs and sports goods.

bkgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 19:47:34

SardineQueen 12 year olds are out there doing this! Yes they are old enough to get repercussions of their actions.As for younger children, frankly if their parents are doing the crime then yes they don't give jack shit about their children or are inadequate parents and they should do time or indeed get another punishment. These kids should be taken in to care or if a responsible relation can look after them- great. This sugar coated softly softly approach does not work. The police need to take action and the courts and other services need to back them.We need to get tough or our society is ruined.

SardineQueen Tue 09-Aug-11 19:50:13

You said that you wanted the children of the looters to be made homeless.

Given the age of the people I have seen on the telly, the ones who have children will have babies, toddlers. I can't get gleeful about that, sorry.

bkgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 19:51:05

Too right storytopper - did you see the guy walking beside Boris whining about food in their bellies? I bet he was wearing clothes/trainers worth a grand.

SardineQueen Tue 09-Aug-11 19:51:43

Or sent to an Island, to be accurate.

Not feeling it here.

bkgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 20:00:11

No I didn't say children of the looters I said children of the tennents....obviously referring to the ferile kids that are mugging/burning/looting/intimidating young and old alike and their property.

GypsyMoth Tue 09-Aug-11 20:01:49

thats how i understood what you meant too,bkgirl

edam Tue 09-Aug-11 20:06:06

Why are you assuming people will be let off before they've even been sentenced? Wait and see. My bet is there will be some very serious punishments.

DrPolidori Tue 09-Aug-11 20:13:53

I rarely get pedantic on an OPs ass about spelling, but ffs, wrap on the knuckles? It's RAP on the knuckles.

which could be an whole other thread.

Knee jerk outrage does not help. I bloody live here in a hot spot and I know full well the failures of judiciary/police blah blah. But at the end of the day, we have created an massive underclass. That's the issue.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Aug-11 20:14:07

bkgirl... what are you going on about? Getting all hot under the collar about human rights, Sky and pool tables in prison, ferile (sic) kids - it's pure Daily Mailism. And everyone's entitled to a defence if they end up in court. It's called being part of a civilised society. Rubbing your hands together because some a lawyer doing their job got robbed is pretty reprehensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now