Talk

Advanced search

Kicked off in Clapham Junction too

(34 Posts)
EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 21:17:26

crowd of 200 or so at Clapham Junction - looting and shops smashed up near Arding and Hobbs (Lavender Hill)

MarshaBrady Mon 08-Aug-11 21:19:14

Ah that is bad.

Hellishday Mon 08-Aug-11 21:25:36

Fucking fucking bastards.
Are you near there Edith?

Gastonladybird Mon 08-Aug-11 21:26:46

Wasn't there trouble earlier?sad

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 21:31:40

I used to live near there - which is why it makes me a bit shock, though it's probably no worse there than anywhere else.

Gaston: Any idea what trouble earlier?

Thistledew Mon 08-Aug-11 21:35:36

My friend who works opposite Debenhams said her office were advised to go home at about 5 this afternoon because of rioters. The main entrance at CJ station is currently closed because of "a large number of youths gathered outside"!

naught Mon 08-Aug-11 21:35:45

Oh god, dp is working there tonight. (works on the underground) That's it, I will have to break our cardinal rule, and ring him and ask him to ring me when he gets to work. He is going to be embarrased, but I don't give a

Lilyloo Mon 08-Aug-11 21:37:39

Apparantly on sky news a journalist there saying they are looting the shops and no police presence at all.
Pure opportunism to get whatever they can

Gastonladybird Mon 08-Aug-11 21:39:51

Nandos and mobile phone store looted apparently edith

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 21:40:05

It seems a SKY reporter lives nearby and he's phoning in a live report.

There is one police officer (at CJ station. No others in sight. (And there's a police station on Lavender Hill - where are they all? - they must be desperately stretched).

The (growing) mob is moving along St John's Road towards the A3 and the Northcote Road. The mob seems to be smashing and looting - no reports of fires. Bars in Northcote Road closing precipitately.

naught Mon 08-Aug-11 21:41:32

oops blush he is at earls court

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 21:46:06

naught - better safe than sorry tonight!

Apparently Debenhams in CJ has been completely ransacked.

Lilyloo Mon 08-Aug-11 21:47:37

Footage on sky now , no police and lot's of very young people smashing up shops !!

naught Mon 08-Aug-11 21:52:13

so awful. words fail me.

LauraIngallsWilder Mon 08-Aug-11 21:53:54

West Croydon station is on fire shock

I cant watch as its making me cry
Yet I cant turn it off either

I feel ashamed to be British atm sad really really sad

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 22:49:04

Is Debenhams the department store that was Arding and Hobbs (then House of Fraser)?

If so, I was thinking about it earlier today when I saw footage of the burnt out building in Tottenham - it's exactly the same shape - on a corner, with a little tower.

EldonAve Mon 08-Aug-11 22:51:48

yes it's the arding and hobbs blg

TheCrunchyside Mon 08-Aug-11 23:06:03

what's happening at clapham junction now? got a friend that lives off northote road and am worried but don't want to text as it is so late.

FreeButtonBee Mon 08-Aug-11 23:18:46

Think its calmed down now. Its on sky news, interviewing locals on st johns road. Although twitter is apparently saying that the locals stopped them moving down northcote road! Given it's proper yummy mummy-ville that way, i can only imagine some public school eduated henry bellowing at them, and actually if it's true, fair play to old Henry.

GypsyMoth Mon 08-Aug-11 23:20:35

someone is going to get killed!! members of the public will be fair game for these idiots

TheCrunchyside Mon 08-Aug-11 23:21:08

thanks freebuttonbee. so pleased to hear it is calming dowm there.

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 23:23:37

Calmed down, or moved on?

FreeButtonBee Mon 08-Aug-11 23:37:47

I think calmed down, although TONS of sirens and helicopters still (and i am on the other side, a good 3/4 mile away). Not much else to loot round here, tbh. Not many retail parks etc.

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 23:55:21

The SKY reporter now has a cameraman down there. St John's Road is calm, but it's smashed up - virtually every shop there.

And he said there are still people hanging around. I hope they're not intent on more crime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now