Talk

Advanced search

Will they have to cancel the Notting Hill Carnival?

(18 Posts)
EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 18:58:44

it's just been on the news that organisers will be meeting police tomorrow/soon, and that the advisability of holding the event will have to be kept under review.

The Carnival nearly had to be scrapped in the mid-70s because of rioting, so I suppose it will be a possibility all too much on people's minds.

I read that yesterday's Hackney Carnival had to be cancelled.

The rioters are destroying communities.

crazynanna Mon 08-Aug-11 19:01:34

I think just cancelling the Carnival will start a riot sad Hope not

GypsyMoth Mon 08-Aug-11 19:02:15

Was wondering too

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 19:13:23

Am I right in thinking it's over the weekend of 28th August?

crazynanna Mon 08-Aug-11 19:16:01

Yes EW...late August BH smile

BrownB Mon 08-Aug-11 20:29:20

Bloody hope they cancel it. More trouble with it than without for certain.

sunshinelifeisgood Tue 09-Aug-11 00:57:40

I do not go to the carnival but to be honest I think they should cancel it. The country has gone crazy. Have been speaking to a police officer friend of mine and they expect this to go on for days sad

AmberLeaf Tue 09-Aug-11 00:59:13

I think they will.

This is insane here. Bloody scary.

EdithWeston Tue 09-Aug-11 00:59:42

SKY reporting police are telling all London football clubs to cancel home matches this week. West Ham's Carling Cup fixture is definitely off.

MrsRhettButler Tue 09-Aug-11 01:02:50

It would be dangerous to hold the carnival with this sort of feeling amongst some people.

chipstick10 Tue 09-Aug-11 07:40:50

I hope they do cancel it.

littleducks Tue 09-Aug-11 07:43:47

I agree they probably should cancel it, obviously really upsetting for organisers and people involved but it would just be too big a risk to have families and innocent people out on the streets in large numbers if rioters strike.

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 09-Aug-11 07:45:57

I'm not sure. I can't hear myself think over the sound of Olympic tickets being returned.

Hellishday Tue 09-Aug-11 10:16:26

I think they should cancel, simply because too many police are needed there for control.
An ideal opportunity for the criminals to riot and loot elsewhere.
grin at Gwendoline.
I'll have some please.

porcamiseria Wed 10-Aug-11 21:47:30

I think they must cancel it, madness not to. far too risly amnd same demographic as rioters in someways, to not cancel would be political correctness gone mad

I hate carnival, not fun any more, menacing

EdithWeston Thu 18-Aug-11 18:04:35

BBC report that it's going ahead, but starting and finishing a bit earlier each day.

GeorgeEliot Thu 18-Aug-11 20:15:40

I remember when rioting was be a regular feature at the carnival, in the 80s. I used to live on the route and remember clearly looking out of the window and seeing rows of police blocking Ladbroke Grove their riot shields glinting in the street lights.

I used to love the carnival, best party ever - and sensible people like me always made sure we got home well before nightfall when the troublemakers came out.

But I haven't been for over 10 years, sad if it really is menacing like porc says.

friley Fri 19-Aug-11 13:23:20

All reports are that it is still going aghead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now