Talk

Advanced search

Hackney?

(134 Posts)
Guitargirl Mon 08-Aug-11 17:20:18

Anyone in Hackney? How is it looking there?

stinkyfluffycat Mon 08-Aug-11 17:23:40

Pictures from helicopter on BBC news channel. Bins, trollies being thrown at police, stuff being dragged out of a van stopped at lights, crowds outside the Empire being herded by police. All quite riot - ish.

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 17:30:35

BBC website says: "Groups of people began attacking the police at about 16:20 BST, throwing rocks and a bin at officers. Police cars were also being smashed by youths, who were armed with wooden poles and metal bars. Looters also smashed their way into a JD sports store before police lines dispersed the group. Planks of wood taken from a lorry were then hurled towards riot officers".

Also, that buses had been stoned, and traffic in the whole area is largely at a standstill.

QueenofJacksDreams Mon 08-Aug-11 17:33:44

I just saw about this on Yahoo news and figured I would get the most information here, I'm shocked at the last 2 days I can't remeber any riots happening in my memory <I'm 25 and have a really poor memory> and especially not any so close.

QueenofJacksDreams Mon 08-Aug-11 17:35:29

Telegraph has live cover here

MindtheGappp Mon 08-Aug-11 17:35:46

It's kicking off in Lewisham, too.

QueenofJacksDreams Mon 08-Aug-11 17:37:11

Anyone know what this is about? Copied from the Telegraph

"17.34 Latest Blackberry broadcast:

Quote rIf you're down for making money, we're about to go hard in east london tonight, yes tonight!! I don't care what ends you're from, we're personally inviting you to come and get it in. Police have taken the piss for too long and to be honest I don't know why its taken so long for us make this happen. We need a minimum of 200 hungry people. We're not broke, but who says no to free stuff. Doesn't matter if the police arrive cos we'll just chase dem out because as you've seen on the news, they are NOT ON DIS TING. Finders keepers and we all look after each other so if you see someone getting grab by feds then make sure we help stamp out that fuking PIG. M.O.B money over bobbies =D broadcast this to everyone you know and let's get paid!! RE SEND. LONDON MESSAGE "

noddyholder Mon 08-Aug-11 17:46:56

That is disgusting Queen sad

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 08-Aug-11 17:54:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissBetsyTrotwood Mon 08-Aug-11 17:57:09

Queen that makes me feel physically sick. I know many store holders and shop workers in central Hackney and in our local area and I feel so so sad for them and their families.

DH told me someone just tweeted a group of kids tried to steal a bus to drive at police.

We're E5.

JennyPiccolo Mon 08-Aug-11 17:58:01

The police don't seem to be on 'dis ting'. They showed that when they were shooting criminals in the first place. I don't know how this is going to end.

mama2plusbump Mon 08-Aug-11 17:58:46

shite

kid Mon 08-Aug-11 18:00:31

I'm in N1 and dreading having to go out. I hope its all hype (fingers crossed) and that I manage to get where I'm going and back without any problems sad

DrPolidori Mon 08-Aug-11 18:01:27

Betsy, you must be right by me.

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 08-Aug-11 18:01:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenofJacksDreams Mon 08-Aug-11 18:02:21

I'm signing out for a while but will be thinking of you all in London sad Must be terrifying for you all and I hope you're all safe. If you don't have to go out don't risk it and go, These people obviously have no morals.

GypsyMoth Mon 08-Aug-11 18:03:18

East London? Why aren't they doing over Harrods? Or the whole of Oxford st? A bit thick aren't they?

Not that I agree with this at all, but if it's 'stuff' then it could be better iykwim?! Not east end

mama2plusbump Mon 08-Aug-11 18:04:39

ive got family in n16, and e5
E% is okish, just helicoters..so far
stupid to attack hackney, we have nothing!

DrPolidori Mon 08-Aug-11 18:07:42

Is called shitting on your own doorstep. Idiots.

mama2plusbump Mon 08-Aug-11 18:08:37

its only going to get worse at night sad

MissBetsyTrotwood Mon 08-Aug-11 18:11:33

Dr Polidori I went up to Chatsworth Road immediately after getting home today and they were all battening down the hatches for the night. Greengrocer's, the phone shop, everywhere. It's so depressing. Might take the kids away to the in laws for a few days sad .

RandomMess Mon 08-Aug-11 18:14:44

sad

mama2plusbump Mon 08-Aug-11 18:15:02

if you going to leave, id leave now..or leave it until 8-9 am until they are sleeping then escape.

MissBetsyTrotwood Mon 08-Aug-11 18:15:25

Plus, most of E5 is residential so not many pairs of trainers to steal. It's what they do on the way home, all pumped up and high on violence that might affect here. Cars, houses, passers by...

DrPolidori Mon 08-Aug-11 18:15:45

I'm on chats...live about my shop. luckily ds at his dads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now