Talk

Advanced search

Johnny Marbles jailed for 6 weeks

(23 Posts)
TartyDoris Tue 02-Aug-11 16:11:29

Rightfully so IMO. He's an idiot that almost made Rupert Murdoch seem sympathetic. He's very ugly as well, going very bald at only 26. Hopefully this is the height of his "fame" and he never goes on to be a succesful comedian.

organicgardener Tue 02-Aug-11 16:29:08

The sentence is a bit harsh isn't it?

He might be a bit of a knob but how did he get into that meeting with all the suits?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 02-Aug-11 16:45:16

He's only going to serve 3 weeks. Would have been a community service sentence but the judge decided, quite rightly, that it could have been anything on that plate. Would also like to know how he got into the meeting.

reelingintheyears Tue 02-Aug-11 22:20:04

But it wasn't anything on the plate.

If it had been anyone else and not so high profile my bet is he would have got a caution.

Community service would be more appropriate imo.

He's hardly a danger to society and unlikely to do it again.

At least not to Rupert Murdoch.

reelingintheyears Tue 02-Aug-11 22:21:29

And what has being ugly and going bald at 26 got to do with anything?

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 22:23:02

Three weeks seems a bit much but a least it's vaguely proportionate.

<Lemon tries desperately to hold back her Charlie Gilmour rant>

Ponders Tue 02-Aug-11 22:26:10

6 3 weeks for him is a lot more proportionate than Charlie Gilmour's sentence angry

I'd be interested to know how the security staff who let him in, & the PC in the room who took about a minute & a half to get across, will be/have been disciplined hmm

reelingintheyears Tue 02-Aug-11 22:27:30

I didn't think Charlie Gilmore should have got such a long sentence either..(can't remember exactly how long it was)

It just seems such a waste of money sending people to already overcrowded prisons for things they are unlikely to repeat especially when they have no previous convictions and i doubt very much if CG would have got the same if he'd jumped on my car during a demonstration.

Ponders Tue 02-Aug-11 22:29:32

Lemon, did you see, he never said he didn't know what the Cenotaph was for? He said he didn't know before exactly where the Cenotaph is in London, so didn't realise that was what he was swinging off. I knew it!

(My DD1, who is 29 & quite smart but hasn't been to London much, was shocked when I told her where it is & she realised she'd walked right past it)

franke Tue 02-Aug-11 22:30:30

I guess that's it Ponders. He's being punished for showing up shockingly poor security. Other than that I don't really care. What he did was idiotic and frankly pointless in the end. I don't find attacking an 80yo defensible, whoever it is.

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 22:32:19

And in this case it was a directly personal, premeditated, physical attack. Unlike Charlie Gilmour...

Ponders Tue 02-Aug-11 22:32:37

CG got 16 months, reeling (will serve 8 I think) & is banged up for 23 hours a day apparently - his mother has been tweeting about it.

Completely pointless angry

reelingintheyears Tue 02-Aug-11 22:32:38

I agree franke but i think prison is a waste of money in this case.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 02-Aug-11 22:35:48

I can't help thinking that for the failed thus far comedian that JM is, all this publicity is what he wants..... Mind you, he deserves the sentence for his dodgy haircut.

BitOfFun Tue 02-Aug-11 22:36:43

I suppose that's 6 weeks longer than Rupert Murdoch is ever likely to serve. Ridiculous.

ah, I've started a thread in the wrong section, apparently...!!

I think it's outrageous, actually. FFS, even the people that blue-dyed Blair didn't get custodial. Ridiculous.

Incidentally - the fact that he is (in your opinion) ugly/fat/whatever is beside the point and demeans any argument you wish to make. Not at all a cool comment...hmm

VivaLeBeaver Tue 02-Aug-11 22:41:56

I suspect if he'd done the pie in the face to Murdoch in the street then the punishment wouldn't have been so severe. I get the impression he's been punished for upsetting such a serious, parliamentary type proceeding rather then slapping a custard pie in someone's face.

TartyDoris Tue 02-Aug-11 23:49:19

If someone had interupted the Nuremburg trials and hit Goebbels or Goerring in the face with a pie they'd have got a lot longer than 6 weeks.

franke Tue 02-Aug-11 23:55:02

I'm sure they would tarty. But this was hardly the Nuremburg Trials was it? It was a half-baked commons select committee who were barely up to the job in hand and, last time I looked, the Murdochs were not accused of crimes against humanity. Interesting comparison though hmm

rainbowtoenails Tue 02-Aug-11 23:59:20

We're meant to be broke but we can afford these expensive custodial sentences? Id rather see big fines.

TartyDoris Wed 03-Aug-11 01:40:13

I think a custodial sentence will show someone like Marbles not be such an idiot and also deter any other "comedians" from doing anything similar.

dolldaggabuzzbuzz Wed 03-Aug-11 15:08:42

Thank heavens he has been banged up for 6 weeks! Now I can sleep safe in my bed in the knowledge that this brute ain't gunna be chucking no more cream pies at poor old Rupert Murdoch

doigthebountyeater Mon 08-Aug-11 21:49:25

Give me Johnnie Marbles over Charlie Gilmour any day. Most people would agree that Murdoch is a shit however I do agree that JM should not have been able to smuggle anything into the Houses of Parliament and it could have been acid etc on the plate. Six weeks is about right. Don't do the crime if you can't take the time etc.

Charlie Gilmour is NOT a poor sweet little innocent. He was out of his mind on valium/LSD and whisky. He attacked the car of the heir to the throne and showed disrespect to our war dead. He deserves a prison sentence. He is hardly likely to be corrupted in there if he was already scoring class A drugs in his own time. I'm glad to see that he didn't get off his crimes for being a 'nice' public school boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now