Talk

Advanced search

Possible FaceBook link to 65K burglary

(7 Posts)
NetworkGuy Tue 02-Aug-11 12:10:18

Here > News item < (spotted in the 'Technology' section on an infrequent visit to this newspaper site).

I guess it depends on how "open" you are about family and how identifiable, too. But saying you are going away (or updating to say 'Weather is great in Madrid' or somesuch, seems to be damn risky anyway, if you have any commonsense and / or a home you want to remain safe).

OK, maybe it is an age thing, but I see plenty of recent "competitions" now seem to require use of Twitter or Facebook and I for one will not be tempted to use either even if it means being excluded.

fivegomadindorset Tue 02-Aug-11 12:17:53

Totally agree with you, anyone who posts they are going away are nuts.

Would be interesting to see how the insurance business would start to react if this keeps growing.

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 02-Aug-11 12:26:30

It's the people who 'check in' at home that make me laugh. Do they honestly not get that anyone can click on that and be taken to google maps which shows you precisely where they live? It's then that you want to worry about telling the world you're going away.

HedleyLamarr Tue 02-Aug-11 13:23:28

Some folk make it too easy.
Disclaimer: I am not a burglist.

NetworkGuy Tue 02-Aug-11 13:28:13

check in' at home ...

FourSquare > Wiki description < is designed for people with GPS-enabled devices to track their friends, earn 'badges' etc.

Sounds like a wet dream for a pro- Big Brother "security tzar" in a totalitarian government !!

Meglet Tue 02-Aug-11 13:38:55

I never say when I'm going away or out for the day. And my profile is private.

There must be so many people who post they're away and don't have a private page. Crazy!

supergreenuk Tue 02-Aug-11 13:45:42

Surely if you have set all your privacy settings the only people who can see your status updates are people you know and trust???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now