Talk

Advanced search

Apple now has more cash than the US Govt.

(15 Posts)
Hassled Fri 29-Jul-11 20:46:41

Here.
It's messing with my head. It's not right, is it? <coherant>

Meglet Fri 29-Jul-11 20:47:19

bloody hell!

bran Fri 29-Jul-11 20:51:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pedallleur Fri 29-Jul-11 21:01:57

Apple isn't spending money on

Foreign aid/domestic aid/large expensive military forces maintaining global peace/importing oil/shoring up banks etc

GingerbreadDad Fri 29-Jul-11 21:04:14

to add to pedalleurs list

and Massive debt

Hassled Fri 29-Jul-11 21:07:13

Futurama had a very entertaining dig at Apple earlier this evening.

I appreciate the differences between the two - it has just shifted my perceptions in a disconcerting way - probably very naive of me. I'm genuinely shocked by it.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 31-Jul-11 14:25:09

I think I have more cash than the US government right now....

Ripeberry Mon 01-Aug-11 00:18:35

Why don't we just do away with money altogether, just start from scratch.
I think this is what 21/12/2012 will be all about. sad

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 01-Aug-11 08:58:31

The people who have the money - the Chinese, for example - won't be giving it up any time soon. The rest of us have got to retrench until things stabilise & build from there. Why is 21/12/12 significant?

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Aug-11 12:13:44

Another difference is that Apple can't print money.

HeatherSmall Mon 01-Aug-11 22:27:15

those presses have been warming up for a while inflation here we come

mumblejumble Tue 02-Aug-11 15:32:13

Why doesn't the US government make Apple pay extra taxes/contributions instead of taking away from the people.

BadgersPaws Tue 02-Aug-11 15:47:32

"Why doesn't the US government make Apple pay extra taxes/contributions instead of taking away from the people."

So a company does well, it turns itself around, it pulls itself back from the brink of complete collapse and then puts money away ready to fund investments in future growth. Their reward for doing so is to face some special new tax that will take their savings away. And that will help the economy recover how? If companies are faced with the fact that saving and investing for their future will just land them with a huge tax bill what do you think they're going to do? Save and invest? Or blow it all and damn the future? Or head overseas and stop paying any tax at all to the Government?

There might well be a case to ask all companies to pay more money in tax, but just to pick on one famous example isn't going to help any.

Funtimewincies Tue 02-Aug-11 16:41:59

Yes, but my 4 year old has more real, spendable cash in his piggy bank than the US government has, a grand total of....£4.23. What's the conversion rate these days grin?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 02-Aug-11 16:43:36

@mumblejumble... because the Tea Party nazis won't let them tax anyone, never mind Apple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now