Talk

Advanced search

DSK Rape Case - Alleged Victim Goes Public

(6 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 25-Jul-11 14:36:50

Accused Gives Interviews To me, it's a very odd justice sytem that lets criminal cases be played out on TV and in the press rather than a proper courtroom. Surely the defence team will use this to argue that the accused man won't get a fair trial?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 25-Jul-11 14:37:41

My mistake... she's not the accused, of course, she's the alleged victim. Freudian slip? blush

Callisto Mon 25-Jul-11 15:55:40

I didn't think anyone was allowed to 'give evidence' in public before a trial because the way it is reported (rarely unbiased) can affect how the jury decides the verdict. Am I right in thinking that trials have been thrown out before now because of excessive media coverage?

It would be a shame if the trial does collapse - DSK sounds like a thorougly unpleasant piece of work.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 25-Jul-11 17:14:50

It certainly wouldn't be allowed in the UK. Once a case is sub judice it can't be reported or it's a contempt of court. American rules appear to be very different but I do wonder if she's been given bad advice in going so public at this stage. The case is said to be on the verge of collapsing as it is.

EdithWeston Mon 25-Jul-11 17:23:14

The commentary I saw about this was that the interview was given because the case is on the verge of collapse (it's really rare - and a sign of something seriously awry - for the prosecution (who had previously believed in her so much that they secured the high profile arrest) to be the ones who undermine the credibility of the accuser in this way).

The line of thinking was that she needed to gather public sympathy to keep the pressure on the prosecution to continue to pursue the case.

It wouldn't be allowed in UK, and IMHO trial by media stinks. Judicial proceedings can all too often seem remote and sterile, but to me the more emotive the case the more important it becomes to have dispassionate proceedings.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 26-Jul-11 21:09:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now