Talk

Advanced search

34,000 Police jobs to go within three years

(14 Posts)
caramelwaffle Thu 21-Jul-11 11:15:14

Some of this will be natural wastage.

Is this number high (overall for the U.K.) ?

Will other Public Service sectors follow?

munstersmum Thu 21-Jul-11 11:20:16

Where is that figure from? You can't actually make a police officer compulsorily redundant.
What's the split between police officers & admin support roles?

scurryfunge Thu 21-Jul-11 11:24:27

You can make them redundant, you just have to change the law to suit.

Most cuts will be support staff and the result will be having police officers (on double their wage) in their administrative roles in stead which means less on patrol.

GypsyMoth Thu 21-Jul-11 11:28:21

not looking good for my dd who wants to follow in my footsteps! she was looking at local force,or possibly the MET ........but she wants to re think and is thinking military police or mod police. i guess recruitment there is nil too.

she's covering all bases and has joined army cadets......she's determined

caramelwaffle Thu 21-Jul-11 11:57:49

munstersmum - the figures have been given in a report by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary.

munstersmum Thu 21-Jul-11 14:28:07

Just caught it on the news. Seems about evenly split between police & support staff.

TartyDoris Thu 21-Jul-11 18:36:56

It won't make any difference. The problems with the police in this country aren't related to numbers, they are related to the amount of bureacracy and political correctness they are faced with. Take the shackles off and let them fight crime, as the police always used to do, before they were expected to be more social worker than anything else.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Thu 21-Jul-11 20:20:38

Is it 16,000 police and the rest civilian staff? The police officers will go through natural wastage and implementation of the 30 year rule. Glad to hear the PCSO's are going though, they are overpaid for what they can do. I would rather have 4 police officers than 6 PCSO's - there is not a great saving with them compared to "real" police officers.

SharonGless Thu 21-Jul-11 22:50:00

There aren't any PCSO's going in my force. A lot of the police staff are doing admin jobs or front counter staff. This has a knock on effect that police officers will be doing admin due to the amount of paperwork and systems generated instead of being out on the streets. Frustrated - yes!
There may still come some good of this though that the police wont' be the dumping ground for every other agencies problems. The number of issues we spend time dealing with when could be tackling crime or anti social behaviour are unbelievable.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 22-Jul-11 00:13:51

would it interest anyone to know that already numbers are stretched, two weeks ago, myself and a colleague were the only ones policing our district. We could not have made any arrests as that would have tied us up for the shift and left no one to answer emergency calls, we started out with 4, that made 2 double crewed cars (always double crew on nights for safety), 2 got tied up with a prisoner and that left yours truly and my oppo....

our rota is losing 3 staff.

go do the maths!

Pinkglow Fri 22-Jul-11 12:51:32

would it interest anyone to know that already numbers are stretched, two weeks ago, myself and a colleague were the only ones policing our district. We could not have made any arrests as that would have tied us up for the shift and left no one to answer emergency calls, we started out with 4, that made 2 double crewed cars (*always double crew on nights for safety*), 2 got tied up with a prisoner and that left yours truly and my oppo....

My husband was single crewed on a night shift a couple of weeks ago because of a shortage of police officers.......great eh?

SharonGless Fri 22-Jul-11 14:45:30

We have always been single crewed - only vans get double crewed. Unless in Scotland where there is legal obligation for corroboration I do agree you don't need to double crew every time

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 22-Jul-11 19:53:42

we are only double crewed on nights - for days and afters we are single crewed, but on nights its considered a safety issue in our force, plus we cover a massive area - can take 30 mins for someone to get to you for back up.

LynetteScavo Fri 22-Jul-11 20:00:12

I've heard similar about the forces.

Now, I'm not a forces person, but it made me angry to think someone who is prepared to die for their country for 30K a year can be made redundant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now