Talk

Advanced search

David Cameron, Murdochs, and BSkyB - a thought

(9 Posts)
LilyBolero Thu 21-Jul-11 09:04:13

David Cameron when questioned yesterday, failed to answer the question of whether he had discussed the BSkyB bid by the Murdochs with either or the Murdochs, or Rebekah Brooks. Twenty-six times he was asked, twenty-six times he said 'I did not have any INAPPROPRIATE conversations'.

The inference is that he DID discuss it with them, but he justifies this by saying he 'took himself out of the decision making process', 'he had no part in making the decision', 'it was down to the Culture Secretary.

I have to disagree with him on that point. He had a CRITICAL role in the decision making process - which is that after Vince Cable had been stung by the Torygraph, it was Cameron who made the decision to take him off the decision making, and it was Cameron who also made the decision to appoint Jeremy Hunt, who of course, works for .....Cameron. I think he had no option but to take Cable off, but he could have appointed another LibDem in Vince's stead. Ministers will never go against their leader, unless on a strong point of principle, or to trigger a leadership election, because they all want to climb the greasy pole. And Hunt set off admirably up that pole - Ofcom had recommended the bid be referred to the Competitions Commission, Hunt saw no need, and just gave a green light.

Just because you have given the decision making to another person, if you choose that person, then you have influenced the result of the decision. And 2 days after Vince Cable was sacked from this role, and Jeremy Hunt put in his place, Cameron was at Rebekah Brooks' house for a party. Even then, he couldn't see this was inappropriate. Even if totally innocent, couldn't he have given the party a miss this one year?

The man is a fool.

LilyBolero Thu 21-Jul-11 09:08:22

Sorry, not sure where the 26 came from (am getting my numbers muddled here) - he met News International 26 times in 15 months (ie once a fortnight), he was asked ELEVEN times to confirm whether he had spoken with them about the BSkyB bid, and ELEVEN times denied it.

Sorry to mess up the numbers! Doesn't change the crux of the OP.

rainbowtoenails Thu 21-Jul-11 09:11:55

He is corrupt. What are you going to do about it?

LilyBolero Thu 21-Jul-11 09:32:48

Clearly I can do nothing. He however should stop with the 'not quite' answers, face the truth, and face the music - taking the consequences for whatever his actions were.

ajandjjmum Thu 21-Jul-11 09:35:24

They're all corrupt - just some more so that others.

LilyBolero Thu 21-Jul-11 09:38:47

Just because corruption is endemic doesn't mean we have to accept it. And this PM seems more corrupt than most.

animula Thu 21-Jul-11 10:24:01

At the risk of being repetitive and dull, can I post a link to a blog that BoF posted on the other thread?

this one

The last paragraphs are particularly interesting. The blogger suggests that cozying up to NI has shifted to "infiltration" with the change of government, and closes with an overview of the symmetry between policy, actual policy, and various interest-groups that have been offering financial and other forms of aid. Almost like "bungs" you read about in countries that we shake our heads at for their endemic corruption.

It's sobering.

bobthebuddha Thu 21-Jul-11 14:47:13

Very interesting animula

LilyBolero Thu 21-Jul-11 14:53:06

Really interesting article, thank you for posting it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now