Talk

Advanced search

Nurse arrested for contaminating saline with insulin

(48 Posts)
shandyleer Wed 20-Jul-11 21:40:33

Shades of Beverley Allit (think I've spelt the surname wrong there)? Has she said why she did this yet?

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 21:45:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DuelingFanjo Wed 20-Jul-11 21:48:47

so far she's just under suspicion isn't she? I hate the way the media trawl facebook and try to use what she's posted as 'evidence'.

Marrow Wed 20-Jul-11 21:48:47

She hasn't been charged yet.

TheCrackFox Wed 20-Jul-11 21:55:05

She hasn't been charged yet so it is best not to speculate.

PaperView Wed 20-Jul-11 21:58:10

She hasn't been charged. I know that for a fact (and no it's not me)

NettoSuperstar Wed 20-Jul-11 21:59:27

I haven't read anything about this case, but anyone who is shocked by bad treatment, or bullying in hospitals, has clearly never been in one.

franke Wed 20-Jul-11 22:15:13

Very odd case. Suspect not yet charged and I'm shocked at how her arrest has been reported so far.

shandyleer Wed 20-Jul-11 22:15:51

How long can she be held for questioning before being charged/released?

reelingintheyears Wed 20-Jul-11 22:20:28

Do we know if this is true yet?

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 22:25:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bobthebuddha Thu 21-Jul-11 00:13:09

And once again the papers show no restraint or respect for judicial process by splashing the suspect & intense speculation all over their front pages...

PaperView Thu 21-Jul-11 12:33:23

reeling - it is true in that the incidents happened in the way reported. The girl has been arrested and as long as that is the story then the media are doing nothing wrong. Her name should not have been released while she still has not been charged and is for intents and purposes - innocent.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Jul-11 16:37:30

The suspect doesn't have to be charged before they can be named. Arrested is enough. Viz Rebekah Brooks in the hacking scandal. Arrested but not charged.

SurreyDad Thu 21-Jul-11 17:51:52

Well, if the stress of the job and 12 hour shifts are part of the reason this has happened, then management need to bear some of the responsibilty.

Wolfgirl Thu 21-Jul-11 18:11:40

SurreyDad... management do not HAVE to accept responsibility for someone who purposely kills. They should take responsibility for their staff - yes, but they cannot be to blame for murder.

Hmm?

LilBB Thu 21-Jul-11 20:39:12

I think it's unfair that her details are published before she has been charged. Although I suppose it's hard to keep secret when there are neighbours willing to talk to the press. I also think her moaning about work and partying is normal for a 27 yr old not concrete evidence of being a serial killer.

Whoever did it must be very messed up. I wonder what drives someone to do that? I wonder if they think they are making it better for them or is it just evil.

SurreyDad Thu 21-Jul-11 21:08:00

I suppose this is a hard way to learn not to talk about work on Facebook...

thenightsky Thu 21-Jul-11 22:14:58

How come she has her photo and name all over the papers and TV if she is still only being questioned? I don't get it. What if she is released without charge? Will she be able to sue the press?

Feenie Thu 21-Jul-11 22:17:09

Like that poor sod of a landlord that the press and MN posters lambasted before he was released without charge. His life is in ruins. So wrong.

thenightsky Thu 21-Jul-11 22:20:41

Did that landlord get compensation or even an apology?

minxofmancunia Thu 21-Jul-11 22:23:48

I'm a nurse it's stressful bit not THAT stressful..

Bullying is rife in the NHS, worse on the wards than in the community in my experience. I have been subject to nasty bullying by a few (only a few thank God) vile nurses, although I've tried to move on it's had severe long term impact on my career. It's shit.

This woman has had her regsitration suspended and her face splashed all over the papers, if she's innocent her career is over. It seems bizarre imo, I would have thought they couldn't release details until she's charged?

Feenie Thu 21-Jul-11 22:24:50

Last I heard on the subject

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Jul-11 22:24:56

"Will she be able to sue the press?"

Possibly. Newspapers are allowed to print the name of people arrested, plus they can give out other information until the point when the person is arrested when reporting restrictions kick in. They're supposed to act responsibly, however, and if they carry on prejudicing future trials by publishing too many details then the rules might be changed.

Feenie Thu 21-Jul-11 22:30:01

The Attorney General warned the press regarding contempt of court laws, but I don't think it did any good in his case.

MN were reasonably fast on deletion, but it still wasn't one of MN's finest hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now