Talk

Advanced search

Private Eye is suggesting murder squad met officers are worried about met officers being dirty/taking payments

(13 Posts)
bkgirl Wed 20-Jul-11 12:31:26

Apparently some met officers have been taking payments including in the form of travellers cheques....and murder squad officers are worried.

Bodes well for poor Sean Hoare.

limitedperiodonly Wed 20-Jul-11 14:58:05

That might explain someone yesterday asking James Murdoch whether NI had ever made non-cash payments to police officers - specifically travellers' cheques.

Sadly he had no knowledge of that and could not speak to the actions of anyone else but said it was a really good question and he was glad of the opportunity not to answer it.

What's the Eye story or is that it for now?

Mellowfruitfulness Wed 20-Jul-11 16:23:52

(Yet another) cottonwool moment, bkgirl: does that mean murder squad think the met officers are being paid not to investigate crimes or even actively to hamper investigations? What is the source of their information?

(Am I being very slow here??)

WidowWadman Wed 20-Jul-11 16:48:03

I would have thought they would have been paid for details on murder cases for the NotW to publish, anything else seems to be firmly in the tinfoil hat realm

animula Wed 20-Jul-11 17:30:06

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morgan_(private_investigator)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Rees

I wonder if when it unravels, this case might be looked at in a wider light. The man's family allege he was investigating police corruption.

(Sorry, I 've posted about it before, but still find it a bit ... .)
Mind you, all that is off at a tangent.

Would lunch vouchers indicate direct payment??? Rather than through some third source, or network-of-distantiation?

animula Wed 20-Jul-11 17:32:05

Oh, agree with WidowWadwam.

Catkinsthecatinthehat Wed 20-Jul-11 17:42:06

To add to what Animula wrote about the Daniel Morgan case, Nick Davies had a comprehensive article on this a few days ago. The police knew in 2002 that the NOTW were trying to derail a murder investigation into one of their employees, Jonathan Rees, but did nothing as they wished to retain a strong relationship with News International.

www.nickdavies.net/2011/07/08/police-confronted-rebekah-brooks-with-evidence-of-crime/

animula Wed 20-Jul-11 18:17:31

I'd missed that: thank you, Catkinsthecatinthehat.

I find it really alarming in its implications.

You know, I'd repeat a point ThisIsANiceCage made on the other thread - electable police chiefs will make the police more, not less, prone to this sort of stuff.

Hummingbirds Sun 24-Jul-11 16:30:47

This is grim stuff:

"According to journalists and investigators who worked with him, Rees exploited his position as a freemason to make links with masonic police officers who illegally sold him information on targets chosen by the News of the World, the Sunday Mirror and the Daily Mirror. One close contact, Det Sgt Sid Fillery, left the Metropolitan police to become Rees’s business partner and added more officers to their network. Fillery was subsequently convicted of possession of indecent images of children."

MP reveals Freemason involvement in News of the World phone hacking scandal

bkgirl Sun 24-Jul-11 17:45:56

Scary stuff, I don't think it means the entire freemason movement is dodgy though. I guess you can get corrupt people in any group. I hope though that this is investigated fully and taken to its proper conclusion since anything less will indeed bring down the reputation of the freemasons.

edam Tue 26-Jul-11 22:35:53

Thing is, it's easy for corruption to flourish in a secret society. Especially one that promotes doing favours for your 'brothers' and restricts entry to 'people like us' (i.e. who aren't going to challenge the way things are done).

edam Tue 26-Jul-11 22:37:10

(There's a quote somewhere, which I can't find right now, from a former Commissioner of the Met about how he tried to make sure there were fewer corrupt people on the inside of his force than the outside, but it was a close-run thing.)

EightiesChick Tue 26-Jul-11 22:41:05

Ick. This only gets more and more disturbing. The idea that people like Rees have had this level of power is pretty cringeworthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now