Talk

Advanced search

New Hacking revelations in The Sun and The Times

(71 Posts)
Purpleswimmingtiger Mon 11-Jul-11 17:57:14

Given the breaking news regarding hacking\blagging\leaking of confidential medical records of Gordon Browns son will Mumsnet be targeting the advertisers of the Sun and The Times in the same way they so successfully did with the now defunct NOTW?

Nancy66 Mon 11-Jul-11 18:05:11

Mn had nothing to do with the downfall of the NOTW - they just had a Sky ad removed - and milked it for publicity for a week afterwards

Purpleswimmingtiger Mon 11-Jul-11 18:30:16

You're not very well informed are you Nancy?

Mumsnet were one of the first to call for an advertising boycott of the NOTW. This advertising boycott was no doubt a factor in the decision to close NOTW.

You're comprehension of the written word isn't up to much either, I asked "will Mumsnet be targeting the advertisers of the Sun and The Times in the same way they so successfully did with the now defunct NOTW"
Nowhere did I claim that Mumsnet were solely responsible for the downfall of NOTW.

Nancy66 Mon 11-Jul-11 18:33:15

Better informed than you, I think!

clam Mon 11-Jul-11 18:47:25

I think the decision to close NOTW was for a myriad of reasons not yet disclosed, but was always on the cards to happen. This latest business was just the catalyst.

bkgirl Mon 11-Jul-11 19:33:49

NOTW was closed for a number of reasons - most of all according to Rebekah Brooks because of revelations that were yet to emerge. Frankly, we still don't know if they have come out yet.

As for the Sun and The Times....do you seriously think todays revelations are anything less than criminal if proven true? It appears that the criminality is endemic, if so I for one would be happy for the offending titles to disappear or at the very least to change hands into the charge of management which do not condone such behaviour.

Apparently the police also think even now that NI are trying to sabotage their investigations with leaks. Hardly a surprise...wonder if Murdoch approves? I think he needs to answer personally - surely he has corporate responsibility.

noddyholder Mon 11-Jul-11 19:36:19

There are rumours online that this was planned as far back as November

Meglet Mon 11-Jul-11 19:38:05

Gosh, I never could have imagined that The Sun and The Times would also be involved.

I'll be happy to boycott / e-mail everyone it takes if it will halt RM in his tracks.

Ponders Mon 11-Jul-11 19:38:56

Telegraph business news today

'it is Renault's blanket rejection of all News International titles and Mumsnet's abandonment of Sky that will be most worrying for News Corp'

by Katherine Rushton. Maybe she's a MNer, eh, Nancy?

nikos Mon 11-Jul-11 19:40:20

So do you want hundreds more innocent workers to lose their jobs? Because that's what will happen and will solve nothing. Of course mn didn't bring down the notw. This has been planned for weeks.

Northernlurker Mon 11-Jul-11 19:43:03

The revelations about Fraser Brown's medical records are pretty vile tbh. I have a new found increase in respect for Gordon Brown (already thought he was a decent bloke). If somebody rang me to say 'Oh we know your baby has a life limiting illness and we'll publish as much to ell our disgusting rag of a paper...' I strongly suspect physical violence might follow.

NerfHerder Mon 11-Jul-11 19:50:00

nancy- why are you so bitter about this? On every thread I've seen about this issue you've sounded bitter.
How many scoops did you use PI-obtained information for?

Ponders Mon 11-Jul-11 19:52:11

You could argue that it was kinder of her to warn them than just to publish - at least that way they knew ahead of time & had the chance to release the information themselves first.

(Would have been kindest of all to squash the information of course hmm)

herbietea Mon 11-Jul-11 19:53:28

Message withdrawn

DuelingFanjo Mon 11-Jul-11 19:54:10

when people say 'this has been planned for weeks' what is the 'this' and who did the planning confused?

DuelingFanjo Mon 11-Jul-11 19:55:53

oh, and I can't wait for the Daily Mail to be exposed grin

Ponders Mon 11-Jul-11 19:56:17

NI were, supposedly, talking about a 7-day operation at the Sun & intending to close down the NotW at some point in the next 12 months or so & introduce a Sun on Sunday, DF (although as that domain was only registered last week, you have to wonder about that....)

stressheaderic Mon 11-Jul-11 19:57:00

What did Gordon Brown do in response to finding out about his son's records being hacked?

clam Mon 11-Jul-11 20:08:16

Have just remembered seeing a documentary a few years back about Sarah Keays, whose child Flora, with Cecil Parkinson, had complex medical problems. Her private medical details were found to have been hacked into. I remember her mother being confronted with the evidence and her shock, revulsion and horror. "This is just monstrous" was all she could say, such was her incredulity. Now we know it was commonplace.

DuelingFanjo Mon 11-Jul-11 20:34:38

stresshead, he posted on twitter about it!

RE the phone tapping thing, my brother made a good point. Why didn't anyone give a shit about all this when it was Charles, Diana and Camilla's phones being hacked?

clam Mon 11-Jul-11 20:36:33

Yes, that's true. After all, it was hardly likely to have been a one-off.

Ponders Mon 11-Jul-11 20:38:50

Camillagate info originally came from GCHQ, didn't it? (Or did I dream that?)

DuelingFanjo Mon 11-Jul-11 20:47:16

what's GCHQ?

Ponders Mon 11-Jul-11 20:48:15

the Govt listening place in Cheltenham

Nancy66 Mon 11-Jul-11 21:10:20

I'm not bitter
I'm sad the NOTW has gone out of publication.

I've used Private investigators plenty of times.

I just think it's daft that people think that a parenting website played any significant part.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now