Talk

Advanced search

Have politicians finally realised the Press Barons day is over....the internet rules?

(5 Posts)
bkgirl Sun 10-Jul-11 18:15:03

Obama apparently was the first elected leader not to suck up to Murdoch. He neither went to visit him pre-election nor did he receive him as a visitor. He knew the power base had shifted.....it lay with the internet.

As usual, our lot are rather slower to catch on....I think it's dawning on them. Murdoch has flown in to try to claw back his power. Will the politicians start fawning over him again? What about the police, are they still frightened of News International? Do they still think it's acceptable for detectives to be tailed and their families pursued during active police investigations? Who will Murdoch meet during his little vacation?Has Rebekah Brooks told the police what these other revelations are? Have any scotland yard officers got to India where all the email info is allegedly stored? Has NI given the police free access? Ho long exactly will it take Cameroon to appoint a judge and get the ball rolling?

I want to hear the truth - no more lies. I don't want the police or MP's threatened or blackmailed any more.

Thank you Mumsnet and indeed all the online forums that have been the turbo power behind exposing this massive hidden secret from Joe Public.

kayah Mon 11-Jul-11 00:40:40

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14093772

JohannaM Mon 11-Jul-11 00:43:57

Have politicians finally realised the Press Barons day is over....the internet rules?

It is the large corporations that are gaining more control over the internet. They want to own that as well.

bkgirl Mon 11-Jul-11 00:51:13

Thanks Kayah - brilliant article.

JohannaM - really good point.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 07:50:55

Politicians do not believe the press baron's day is over. One-off incidents are still going to get Twitter etc., and they know as well as anyone else that if they are given a cruel nickname by the press the mud will eventually accumulate. I personally hope that people in positions of power remain a little wary of the press and that the general public don't throw the baby out with the bath water. NI should face the music for their crimes but, if public figures or bodies are behaving irresponsibly, the last thing we need as a democracy are barriers to the press exposing them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now