Talk

Advanced search

Cannibalistic Feeding Frenzy

(29 Posts)
JohannaM Sat 09-Jul-11 14:34:15

While the British press scramble to devour the carcass of the News of the Screws let's not pretend that NI is the only culprit here.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 10-Jul-11 07:33:21

You're right. There's a certain holier-than-thou attitude coming from certain newspapers and it's quite misplaced. Newspaper stories are achieved through some very questionable methods across the board. They fall just this side of legal at the best of times but 'long-lenses poking into bedrooms' and all the other tactics employed are no less intrusive, offensive or deceitful. The NOTW has been rumbled as falling the wrong side of legal and is paying a heavy price... but others should be looking over their shoulders.

ivykaty44 Sun 10-Jul-11 07:40:51

rnemtn listen in to each and every phone call in this country - the newspapers certainly aren't the only culprits.

the telegraph broke the story of the MP's expensisethrough dubious means but noone complained about that story

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 10-Jul-11 08:15:53

Who 'listens into each and every phone call'????!!!!

JohannaM Sun 10-Jul-11 11:14:30

It looks as if Dacre could in Murdoch's position soon.

I daresay there have been a few individuals in newspaper offices all around the country this weekend busy deleting and shredding.

ivykaty44 Sun 10-Jul-11 18:44:45

Government - sorry keyboard playing up - its meant to say gov listen to each and every phone call we make

lalalonglegs Sun 10-Jul-11 19:51:36

How can the government possibly listen into every phone call made?

Empusa Sun 10-Jul-11 21:04:36

"Government - sorry keyboard playing up - its meant to say gov listen to each and every phone call we make"

Um.. sorry, is this your tinfoil hat?

Honestly, how on earth do you figure that one out?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 10-Jul-11 22:07:27

Come on ivykaty... think that one through a little before you make a total fool of yourself.

ivykaty44 Mon 11-Jul-11 12:13:50

Cogito - you do know they are based in York...?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 12:42:04

You mean somewhere in York there is a secret establishment (who knows? maybe it's the whole of York and that whole cathedral thing is just a front?) populated by hundreds of thousands of people who are kept busy 24/7 intercepting the millions of calls made per minute? If I call my friend now, repeat the words 'Detonate the device under 10 Downing Street at 3pm' very clearly several times, are you seriously suggesing the rozzers will turn up and clap me in irons.... hmm?

Please tell me it's a wind-up...

Empusa Mon 11-Jul-11 13:36:16

Haha, I love the cryptic comments. Is York somewhere to be avoided then? grin

WhipMeIndiana Mon 11-Jul-11 13:40:07

there is a random remote phone call listening thing place, run by a UK establishment similar to the CIA anti-terrorism I think

WhipMeIndiana Mon 11-Jul-11 13:41:39

thought it was in Midlands though, not York grin

the twitter accounts of the NoW are suggesting there will be further revelations about
Michael jackson
9-11
and a polician will resign this week

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 14:09:44

I think we're at the stage now where a list of people they haven't hacked would be a) shorter and b) more suprising.

ivykaty44 Mon 11-Jul-11 14:33:15

erh no wind up - very old news, sorry I thought most people knew about this.

Yes it is anti terrorist, the same sort of listening was used in Capenhurst, for the Irish messages etc.

Skype coming in has hit them as they can't listen to skype calls atm

JohannaM Mon 11-Jul-11 14:33:48

ivykaty44: Are you perchance thinking of either RAF Fylingdales or Menwith Hill? Both in North Yorks but not actually in York!

WhipMeIndiana Mon 11-Jul-11 14:50:08

this thread has taken an odd thurn grin

yes ergo do you think some slebs feel pissed off they havent been hacked?

WhipMeIndiana Mon 11-Jul-11 14:50:26

thurn?

*turn

strandednomore Mon 11-Jul-11 14:53:54

Hee hee to there being enough Government officers to listen to "each and every phone call" made in this country.

I am assuming you mean they have the capability to listen to every call? I believe you need to get legal permission every time you want to start listening to a new "target".

slhilly Mon 11-Jul-11 15:02:54

ivykaty44: "the telegraph broke the story of the MP's expensisethrough dubious means but noone complained about that story"
1. Yes, lots of people complained. There were lots of comments and critiques of chequebook journalism at the time.
2. The method wasn't the problem, the target and the purpose were the problems. Dubious means are fine for stories in the public interest, pursuing powerful people who have done Bad Things. Dubious means are not fine for stories feeding prurience and nothing more, pursuing little murdered girls who have done nothing wrong. I can't believe I'm really having to set this out!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 21:12:04

"do you think some slebs feel pissed off they havent been hacked?"

I think there will be a few D-lebrities bangng on various doors, demanding to be hacked or else yes.

NerfHerder Mon 11-Jul-11 21:19:28

erm- have none of you heard of echelon? Ivykaty is right.

Of course all telephone calls are monitored - by the US, UK, and Australian governments. Data transfers are too.

How do you think they get their intelligence on potential terrorist acts?

It isn't actual people listening in, but computer programmes.

posterofagirl Mon 11-Jul-11 21:23:37

Wow this thread is a bit unexpected

<backs out clutching tin foil hat>

WhipMeIndiana Mon 11-Jul-11 21:36:10

haha imagine Jordan - they didnt hack me Im going to sue for non-hacking I have every right to be hacked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now