Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else hearing these rumours?

(66 Posts)
headfairy Fri 08-Jul-11 11:06:27

Apparently Rebekah Brooks will be arrested either late this afternoon/evening or tomorrow morning.

freybean Fri 08-Jul-11 11:57:47

where did you hear that?

headfairy Fri 08-Jul-11 12:28:47

at work, we're preparing an "obit" for her...

SinicalSal Fri 08-Jul-11 12:31:51

I heard 'speculation' this morning on Irish radio.

Well so she bloody well should be.

headfairy Fri 08-Jul-11 12:33:50

I think Cameron's comment that he would have accepted her resignation has sent a clear message to News Corp. That possibly her still being there might be a barrier to the BSkyB takeover. Not that Cameron can legally do anything, but it's quite a strong hint I think.

ceebeegeebies Fri 08-Jul-11 12:35:49

About time! I have just been reading that apparently she has tried to resign twice but it has not been accepted. Am I the only one who is a bit hmm about that because surely once you hand your resignation in, you don't need to have it accepted, you just go??

I just wonder what she knows about who that seems to have protected her so far.

ClaireDeLoon Fri 08-Jul-11 12:37:46

I assume that they mean she has offered to resign twice rather than resigned twice. So 'I'll resign if it helps' with a Murdoch response of 'we'd like you to stay'.

headfairy Fri 08-Jul-11 12:38:03

I'm not sure about that ceebee, I think if her resignation wasn't accepted and she walked she could be in breach of contract (her employment contract) and be fired for gross misconduct (ironic considering her behaviour).

BeauBelles Fri 08-Jul-11 12:39:20

She has a nerve to even contemplate staying in the job, when 500 will lose theirs. ~Think of the non journos who work for the n.o.w. there are hundreds of ordinary folk just trying to earn a living who have had nothing to do with this, but will lose their jobs because of some arseholes at the top.

ceebeegeebies Fri 08-Jul-11 12:39:24

I realise that but what a shallow token gesture that is - no wonder the other journalists are p*ssed off angry

ceebeegeebies Fri 08-Jul-11 12:41:22

Headfairy I know but I have never come across a situation where a resignation has actually been refused in 'real life' if you will as employers would not want staff to be working for them under duress! I am just completely baffled about why Murdoch is so desperate to keep her but I guess we will never know.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 08-Jul-11 12:42:14

I've heard it from a journo on another tabloid.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 08-Jul-11 12:43:42

But for it to happen tomorrow not today.

BeauBelles Fri 08-Jul-11 12:44:15

perhaps she has much 'to tell' if she lost her job?

I don't believe anyone would be forced to stay. She could hand in notice and go sick.

freybean Fri 08-Jul-11 12:44:47

ooh i'll keep the news on

goodwin has just been re arrested

ClaireDeLoon Fri 08-Jul-11 12:45:05

It is a completely shallow gesture I agree. A proper response would have been to resign, tell them you will come to an agreement over notice period and then let the NI staff and thus the wider media know. It only seems to be media and politics where these empty gesture offers of resignation are made.

headfairy Fri 08-Jul-11 12:45:48

ceebee, she's there as a buffer for James Murdoch. If she's arrested and charged then he's very exposed. As the heir apparent to the Murdoch empire that's inconceivable for RM. I know she's a favourite of his, but I think it's also an exercise in protecting James. If she knew what was going on then he had to know too. Resigning is all but an admission of guilt.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Fri 08-Jul-11 12:46:15

Well she's the Camerons' close friend but DC said he would have accepted her resignation. The wind seems to be changing. I wouldn't be surprised if she presented herself at a police station with a lawyer for questioning but I doubt she'll be 'arrested'.

freybean Fri 08-Jul-11 12:46:26

goodman even blush

headfairy Fri 08-Jul-11 12:47:33

even I too think the wind is changing.. we'll see. I think she's been asked to present herself for questionning under caution. Polite way of saying she's being arrested, no?

donnie Fri 08-Jul-11 12:47:39

I hope this is true. It is a matter of great concern that money and power can outbuy the law.

I bloody love mumsnet. There's always someone with insider knowledge <nosey caaaaaah>

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Fri 08-Jul-11 12:48:41

I love Charlie Brooker's comment that James Murdoch is the closest thing the media has to Damien from The Omen. Here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now