Talk

Advanced search

are you watching Channel4- re private landlords

(22 Posts)
TheSecondComing Mon 04-Jul-11 20:12:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maypole1 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:43:04

Why do they need to defend it, it was labour who made this massive move into private rent actively encouraging people to give up their secure council homes for a bigger private rent.

And FYI biggest slum landlord the council labour should of built more homes the only half decent subsidised homes are ha

Shame on labour

TheSecondComing Mon 04-Jul-11 20:50:41

maypole1 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:59:42

And they did what nothing they had 10 years to build more they did nothing 10 years to improve the housing stock they didn't do it

They didn't have to encourage people to move into private rent but they did thus trapping then benefits because once working never would be able to afford the full rent

Stop blaming the tories once someone these fools were in charge for 10 years how long dose it take to bipuild a house, refurbish the thousands of homes that lay empty in the north and how long dose it take to purchase the empty homes in London that have been that way for years

Empusa Mon 04-Jul-11 21:05:35

I'll probably watch it later. Though I'm worried it'll bring back bad memories, and I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that yet.

I know Shelter have a petition going to start a landlord's register to try and stop idiot landlords getting away with it: Petition here

TheSecondComing Mon 04-Jul-11 21:17:47

Empusa Mon 04-Jul-11 21:20:07

maypole There are whole roads of boarded up houses near where my MIL lives, seems such a waste. sad

Honestly though, neither labour or the tories have done much for social housing.

maypole1 Mon 04-Jul-11 21:54:13

The second coming I fear you a fool

A- member of the labour party
B- a sandal foot guardian reader

TheSecondComing Mon 04-Jul-11 22:00:43

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 05-Jul-11 04:47:50

I agree with maypole that it's silly to blame 1980s Tory policies for the present day situation. The Labour party came into power in 1997 which is 14 years ago now. John Prescott, I seem to remember, spoke about building a million new homes and nothing much happened. There are issues surrounding 'council houses for life', homes standing empty and under-occupancy... again nothing from Labour.

donnie Tue 05-Jul-11 11:57:22

who sold off all the council houses?

THE TORIES

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 05-Jul-11 12:04:34

And who didn't bother building any more?

NULABOUR!

Hullygully Tue 05-Jul-11 12:08:19

who doesn't give a shit about housing and the poor?

ALL POLITICIANS

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Tue 05-Jul-11 12:30:41

Agree with Hullygully. Both the tories and Labour have done feck all about housing the poor.

aliceliddell Tue 05-Jul-11 12:42:23

Tories, Labour, LibDem, all of them support neoliberal policies, more 'intensely relaxed about people being filthy rich', supporting 'wealth creators' etc. Where do we fit in to this model? Buy to Let LLs more important than their tenants.

TheArmadillo Tue 05-Jul-11 12:58:48

"homes standing empty and under-occupancy... again nothing from Labour."

Bollocks.

Firstly they introduced a bonus system so someone who is under occupying a council or HA property gets a priority if they decide to move and may also be entitled to a payment to help them with moving decorating costs to encourage people to move.

Secondly they introduced a lot of new legislation on empty properties. Councils can now provide loans/grants to the landlord to get a property back up to liveable standards to be rented out, or extreme situations they can take a property over or force its sale. Councils also often work with private landlords to get their properties rented to those the council are trying to rehouse as a priority. If you know there are empty properties in your area have you reported them to the local council?

Refurbishing council/HA properties costs money - the reason many properties are HA and not council is that the council could not afford to bring them up to legal standard so they were bought out by a housing association.

Building properties - Labour also brought in the rules that meant often housing developments had to contain a certain proportion of affordable housing, whether through the part buy part rent scheme or through HAs.

A lot of the problem of building new properties is getting planning permission - people oppose planning applications for new developments whether it is for 2 houses or 1000s even on brownfield sites that will otherwise remain derelict. Even with section 106 agreements (again that I'm sure were brought in by labour). Condem want to make it easier for the public to get planning applications refused so how exactly are they making things better. They also got rid of the targets labour enforced on each council to build a certain number of houses, meaning essentially those houses won't now be built.

Labour also brought in legislation in regards to registering HMOs (houses of multiple occupation) in attempts to improve living standards.

You can argue that maybe they didn't go far enough or that what they did wasn't effective enough but you cannot argue that they did nothing.

Try not talking out your arse next time.

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Tue 05-Jul-11 16:19:56

Fair enough, but it was all so ineffective in dealing with the mounting housing crisis I would say they did almost feck all.

maypole1 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:54:04

The armadillo

"Firstly they introduced a bonus system so someone who is under occupying a council or HA property gets a priority if they decide to move and may also be entitled to a payment to help them with moving decorating costs to encourage people to move."

Were is this advertised nowhere no poster campaign no information for new tenant's no leaflet campaign for old tenants no housing meeting called the majority of people have had no information on this system the only reason why people know about it is trough word of mouth.
Not advertising or promoting a scheme is as bad as not starting it in the first place.

"Secondly they introduced a lot of new legislation on empty properties."

And yet something like eighty thousand homes stand empty

"Refurbishing council/HA properties costs money - the reason many properties are HA and not council is that the council could not afford to bring them up to legal standard so they were bought out by a housing association."

Far cheaper to bring a home up to code than to move that family out put them onto private rent in notting hill.
Some of the rents labour were allowing the council to pay for some families could re furnish 100s of council homes in a area

Also this business of endlessly re housing people every time they had a child
And even knocking two houses into one in some cases

Like with everything labour did it was all a bit half hearted sometimes doing something badly is worse than doing nothing.

buggerlugs82 Tue 05-Jul-11 19:41:58

Fuck this has become a Labour V Torries thread and i bet that OP didnt even intend that!

REGARDLESS of whose fault it is - none of the bastards are doing anything to put it right. People are living in homes like those (and worse) right now.

For years private landlords have needed heavier penalties. The Protection from Eviction Act 1977 gives LA's the power to prosecute, but in reality few do due to cuts after cuts after cuts (Sheffield and Kirklees seem to be very good at it though)

Before any of you on here jump on me, i work for a LA in a Housing Dept and for 9 years have picked up the pieces of arsehole landlords and arsehole tenants. For every shit landlord is a shit tenant.

The housing problem wasnt caused by 1 Government, but its not made better by any of them either. Not really, only on the surface to win political points. Just look at the New Homes Bonus and compare it to the benefit changes coming in as we speak under the Tories. If you are a single person, under 35 and on a low income, out of work or lose your job, your pretty fucked. Move home and your parents (if they also rent) will be fucked so guess what, rough sleeping will increase and landlords will continue to rent out shithole houses of multiple occupation for £30-40 a week to people who simply have no other choices.

TheFalcon Tue 05-Jul-11 22:02:55

Labour are more at fault than the Tories IMO. They are the party that was set up specifically to represent working-class people, yet they have betrayed in favour of kow-towing to big business.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 06-Jul-11 07:19:20

" i bet that OP didnt even intend that!"

Putting 'where at all the Tories' in the original post was a bit of red rag, don't you think?

AlpinePony Wed 06-Jul-11 08:52:52

thesecondcoming "yes, labour did it even though all the council housing stock is as it was post them being sold by erm who was it..."

Actually, more housing stock was sold under the Labour government of 97-10 than during any other period of time. If Labour really gave a toss they'd have put a stop to it rather than ramping it up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now