Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any opinions on new guidelines for school trips?

(7 Posts)
meditrina Sat 02-Jul-11 08:10:01

BBC article about this here.

Has anyone seen the actual new guidelines?

Are they a good thing? I can't see anything wrong with the simplification proposed, indeed it seems sensible. But haven't seen the actual guidelines (either old or new version), so might be missing something important. I'd be particularly interested in a teacher's eye view of this.

Panzee Sat 02-Jul-11 08:24:39

I don't have all the guidelines in front of me, but I'm fairly sure that's what we do anyway. I asked for parental permission for a specific trip just once this year, and we've been on loads. We also go on general little walks around the area and to the shops, and I have only written one risk assessment this year for that.

grumpypants Sat 02-Jul-11 08:39:28

media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/d/departmental%20advice%20on%20health%20and%20safety%20for%20schools.pdf

guidelines here. seems quite straightforward

Goblinchild Sat 02-Jul-11 08:43:40

Sounds like a return to a more sane approach, but I agree with this:
'The National Union of Teachers has welcomed the move but said proper protection for staff and children should be maintained.'
I wonder how parents will cope?
Pressure from parents and lawyers up for suing is largely what has driven the changes to the red tape over the years in playgrounds, on trips and in the classroom.

Panzee Sat 02-Jul-11 08:50:17

Thanks for the link. I like the part about not needing a special minibus licence.

meditrina Sat 02-Jul-11 23:05:16

They've made this the lead story on both early evening and (just after) 10 O'Clock News today, and that seem a bit odd. It's not that implant a change is it?

Or is it being seen as emblematic of winding back over-prescriptive systems?

meditrina Sat 02-Jul-11 23:06:11

"implant" ?? Sorry - "important".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now