Talk

Advanced search

another teenager stabbed to death... what is this country coming to?

(16 Posts)
juicychops Fri 01-Jul-11 22:12:58

news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Teenager-Stabbed-To-Death-In-Southeast-London-Another-Teen-Arrested/Article/201107116022591?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_16022591_Teenager_Stabbed_To_Death_In_Southeast_London%2C_Another_Teen_Arrested

this is where i grew up, and i walked up this road almost every day of my teenage life. 10 years on i don't think im going to let ds go anywhere alone until he's in his 30's!! why is this country such a scary place now?

RobF Fri 01-Jul-11 22:24:17

Is your son black?

juicychops Fri 01-Jul-11 22:29:44

no why? are only black people a target then??? what a stupid thing to ask

RobF Fri 01-Jul-11 22:33:41

Black kids are far, far, far, more likely to be stabbed to death in south London than white kids are. That's not racism, that's a sad fact. There's a massive problem within the black community regarding knife crime, and tbh I have no idea how it will ever be solved. Plenty of black british parents send their children to school in the caribbean to get them away from all the problems.

thisisyesterday Fri 01-Jul-11 22:35:47

to be fair most of the victims in the past year or so have been black. so while it is not true that only black people are targetted it would appear to be far more likely to happen if you are black

it's horrendous though isn't it? i was saying to dp just the other day it's worse than L.A in London right now I think. just awful sad

FunnysInTheGarden Fri 01-Jul-11 22:39:05

so provided you are not black and don't live in London then you will be fine. Thank god for that!

thisisyesterday Fri 01-Jul-11 22:47:01

no-one is saying that hmm

meditrina Fri 01-Jul-11 22:53:09

"If you tolerate this, your children will be next"

Sobering round up of knife crime.

crazynanna Fri 01-Jul-11 22:58:22

We go through a flurry like this around here every couple of years,a kid gets stabbed,a kid then gets stabbed in revenge,and then it calms down for a while.
There has been 2 stabbings in the last 2 weeks,each about 500 yards from my house.One of the lads died sad. You don't have to walk far now to see the memorials in the street of candles,and bottles of beer,and flowers.
I just think of the poor parents the next morning getting that knock on the door that will change the rest of their lives sad

Hatesponge Fri 01-Jul-11 23:03:25

I live a few miles from there, and very close to where another teenage boy was stabbed several years ago. I think of where I live as a 'nice' area (posibly wrongly).

As a mum to 2 DS, one of whom will be turning 13 later this year, the levels of violence amongst teenage boys really scares me. The older my DS get I am more worried about the boys getting caught up in a fight which goes wrong than them underage drinking, smoking or doing drugs.

RobF Fri 01-Jul-11 23:04:22

I am sure a lot of black parents and grandparents despair at what has happened to this country since they came here in the 1950s and 1960s. They came here because they wanted their children to be raised as English gentlemen, not realising that the British left despised their own culture and would rather adopt the worse parts of foreign cultures. It's totally backwards that people of Afro-Caribbean heritage now send their children back to the West Indies to get a good education away from all the gang culture endemic in black communities of Britain.

TickTockPillow Fri 01-Jul-11 23:48:22

It is so sad. I am not going to comment on the whole race thing - it may or may not be a factor but to be honest it doesn't make any difference to the fact that a boy has lost his life.

What I really hate though about the reporting of these incidents is the referals in the media to "stabbings". These are murders - often cold blooded murders at that. But nobody in the news uses that term.

Saying "stabbing" almost reduces it to a less serious crime - something that kids do to each other that is different from properly killing people. A bit like when people call a vicious assault inside a school "bullying" instead of GBH or attempted murder or whatever it was. I think if the news reported that a young boy had been murdered in broad daylight we'd all sit up and take notice a bit more (hopefully) rather than just sighing and saying to ourselves that it's a rough part of London or whatever and accept that "stabbings" are normal in some way.

creighton Sat 02-Jul-11 07:09:15

Gang culture is not endemic in the black community. It exists on some of the larger council estates. Black people do not send their children to the West Indies in large numbers for their education. Life is harder in the WI than it is here. Some black people move out of the large cities to smaller or less pressurised environments when their children get to secondary school age as the schooling offered in large cities is less than adequate. There are normally one or two decent schools in a borough. If your children don't get into those schools, they are left at the mercy of a school system that offers crowd control rather than a useful education.

somethingwitty82 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:16:11

Whats happened to this country?
Its not really this country thats the problem is it? not too many murders in essex or cornwall. seems to be a pretty specific subset of society

Its all part of living in a 'vibrant' multicultural society, yaaaay for diversity. Now we can have yardie gang violence and asian gangs preying on young girls all in the same city

TheFalcon Mon 04-Jul-11 00:54:19

And some liberal types still decry stop and search as being "racist". It seems they are more concerned about hurting people's feelings than preventing people getting stabbed to death.

AmberLeaf Mon 04-Jul-11 02:51:26

Its not new though is it? and somethingwitty82 its certainly notlimited to 'yardies'

Look in to the extremely serious knife crime issue in inner city Scotland.....has been going on for years....and they are white

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now