Talk

Advanced search

Airport X-Ray scanners

(7 Posts)
vintageteacups Fri 01-Jul-11 14:32:36

I know it's the Daily mail but...

What do pregnant women do about this? Is there a sign saying that pregnant women should not go through the scanner? What about if you don't you're pregnant?

X-rays are not done by hospitals unless absolutely necessary on anyone so I completely understand what this consultant is trying to illustrate.

Surely having a known dose of radiation unecessarily and not for health reasons is going against human rights?

vintageteacups Fri 01-Jul-11 14:32:57

I should say that I don't fly so it's irrelevant for me but still....

Howdoesjuliancope Fri 01-Jul-11 15:14:41

There is a link here that gives you enough information to make a decision for yourself about whether the risks are at an acceptable level.

It seems that on the flight itself you will be exposed to the equivalent radiation of 40 such scans so that suggests to me that it is not worth being overly concerned about.

Plus I like to know that the people I am travelling with have been through the most rigorous security checks available.

Mellowfruitfulness Sat 02-Jul-11 13:46:27

Thanks for the link, Vintage. I agree with the doctor; imo these scanners are unnecessary and slow and incredibly intrusive. Apparently they would not even have been effective against a potential bomber who was discovered with some liquid explosives on him.

If the airports insist on keeping them, then they should at the very least make sure that only two security officers, a male to see men and a female for women are sitting in two separate rooms and only people of the same sex allowed in. However, even if they do this, no matter what they assure the public is going on, in practice they won't keep to it because it will be too costly/difficult with shift systems, etc.

Like Howdoesjuliancope I also want to be safe when I fly - and I think airports do a fantastic job wrt security - but these scanners are OTT. And presumably a terrorist could still find a way of hiding his device in the hold ...

Mellowfruitfulness Sat 02-Jul-11 13:50:13

Also however 'safe' they are deemed to be, no-one can possibly know for sure yet how they would affect frequent travellers, pregnant women, foetuses and children - let alone the rest of us.

When you get an X-ray at hospital, the radiographer stands behind a screen to protect him/herself. They might be stronger, but you don't get six or eight of them a year normally, which is how often some people fly, especially business travellers and those with families abroad.

maypole1 Sat 02-Jul-11 22:49:24

Their have been lots of cases in the states already were they have been perving over female passengers,also keeping the images

What about kids do they have to go into he scanner

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 03-Jul-11 09:06:22

maypole my 10YO DD had to go through one at Manchester a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at the screen when she was being done. I honestly doubt anyone could perve at a load of grey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now