Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else going to complain to PCC about the Daily Hate's article today?

(20 Posts)
chicaguapa Fri 01-Jul-11 13:31:44

I can't link to it as I'm on my phone, but they've used a tragic story about a 13 year old girl's death to have another dig at teachers! It's despicable to the girl's poor parents that the paper has used this story in this way. I'm so angry I can't even construct a sentence properly.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Fri 01-Jul-11 13:41:11

this one?

Poor girl.

Bloody dail mail. I can imagine them sitting in the office.. will we make this one the fault of the teachers, the fault of the mother or because of immigrants?

ashamedandconfused Fri 01-Jul-11 13:46:37

I came into "news" to rant about exactly that , having decided AIBU was not the right place!! the ITV news have also just "linked" this tragedy to the fact the teachers were on strike. An absolutely tragic event, of course, but NOT the fault of the school or the striking teachers AT ALL

poor family

chicaguapa Fri 01-Jul-11 13:59:05

I've now complained online to Press Complaints Commission under breach of Code of Conduct clauses 1(i), 1(ii) & 1(iii) if anyone else wants to do so. Such utter disrespect shown by the media.

stressheaderic Fri 01-Jul-11 14:27:56

I will do this too.
They have gone a step too far here. Absolutely outrageous.

somethingwitty82 Fri 01-Jul-11 15:04:44

This is obscene!

Screw the Mail!

Howdoesjuliancope Fri 01-Jul-11 15:18:45

Aren't they just explaining why she was sitting on a park bench on a school day? I think they have placed the greatest responsibility with the council as they had allegedly received complaints about this particular tree.

tethersend Fri 01-Jul-11 15:22:09

Blimey, that's low, even for The Mail.

pettyprudence Fri 01-Jul-11 15:38:01

If they are blaming the teachers for being on strike, shouldn't they really be blaming the tories whose ridonculous policies caused the teachers to strike? Ah, pigs might fly

pettyprudence Fri 01-Jul-11 15:48:07

Made my complaint and posted on facebook. It really is a new low for DM

squishysquashy Fri 01-Jul-11 15:54:30

It's disgusting that the parents are quoted as saying they don't want their daughter's death connected to other events in the article but daily fail has done just that. Disgraceful.

ashamedandconfused Fri 01-Jul-11 16:44:29

quote from parents - "Our beloved daughter's death was a tragic incident, which occurred only 24 hours ago, and we do not want it to be connected to any other events. We politely ask that our privacy be respected at this time and we will not be issuing anything further."

It was an accident. That branch fell at that time and she was there. had she not been there, maybe a mum and toddler would have been, or a couple of old ladies, or maybe no-one.

If ANYONE can be to blame for this, then its the body responsible for the upkeep of the park - council? But i think it highly unlikely that anyone would face legal action.

chicaguapa Fri 01-Jul-11 17:48:38

Just noticed they've reworded the headline. I'm glad I got my complaint in before they changed it. But it's still a despicable angle.

meditrina Fri 01-Jul-11 18:38:36

Anyone still minded to complain had better include ITV too - they've just mentioned it in these terms in the main 6 O'Clock News.

toutlemonde Fri 01-Jul-11 19:21:15

This is how I've worded my complaint - hope it encourages others to complete their annoying form.

www.pcc.org.uk/complaints/form.html

Headline
Girl, 13, crushed to death by a falling branch as she sat on park bench on the day her teachers went out on strike

Please explain how you believe the Code of Practice has been breached.
1. accuracy - It is manifestly untrue that the teachers strike had anything to do with the accident described, as claimed by this newspaper article. The publisher has not taken due care to ensure it does not publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information. Once recognised, the significant inaccuracy, misleading statement and distortion was not corrected, promptly with due prominence, and with an apology. Instead, one instance of the inaccurate and misleading article (the headline) was changed while others remain, and no prominence has been given to this change, nor apology offered. While the title may have been amended later in the day, the story is still currently filed under 'teachers strike' and the distorted interpretation of events remains throughout the article.

5. intrusion into grief or shock - it is explicit within the PCC code of practice that in cases involving personal grief or shock, publication should be handled sensitively. It is hard to imagine how this article could be more in breach of this clause.

3. privacy - There is no justification for the intrusion into this grieving family's private life, and it is explicitly against their wishes and not with their consent that their story has been associated with other events, namely the teachers' strike. The invasion of privacy and lack of respect for this grieving family is breathtaking. The parents of the girl involved have said: "Our beloved daughter’s death was a tragic incident, which occurred only 24 hours ago, and we do not want it to be connected to any other events."

Which specific clause(s) of the Code are you complaining under?
Clauses 1, 5, 3.

chicaguapa Fri 01-Jul-11 20:00:10

Top marks toutlemonde You worded it better than me!

ZXEightyMum Fri 01-Jul-11 21:00:47

Good grief, that poor girl and her family. Thanks for the template toutlemonde

I read it this morning and was horrified. And you know that the Mail has gone too far even by its own meagre standards when the online comments section unanimously says how low the angle is.

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Fri 01-Jul-11 21:02:58

OMFG. Just when I thought they couldn't sink any lower.

northnorthwest Sat 02-Jul-11 11:08:03

This story is also in the Telegraph and they also mention that she was killed on the day of the strike

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Sun 03-Jul-11 22:22:40

What if she was off school due to sickness, and she felt better so her mum took her to the park and it happened then? I suppose it would be her mother's fault then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now