Talk

Advanced search

Cameron on MPs pensions

(13 Posts)
meditrina Wed 29-Jun-11 18:20:48

BBC article - he's proposing higher contributions and "career average", not final salary terms.

Good!

Riveninside Wed 29-Jun-11 18:31:11

But is he just saying it?

meditrina Wed 29-Jun-11 19:34:46

It seems he's been saying it for quite a long time, in 2008 he was advocating closing the existing scheme to new entrants and switching to defined contribution.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 29-Jun-11 19:40:31

Well seeing as this has been the case for other public service staff for some years now its about time. Really the MPs should have led by example and be the first to have changed, not the last.

HHLimbo Fri 01-Jul-11 20:12:57

Cameron, for example, ...

HHLimbo Fri 01-Jul-11 20:21:44

is full of hot air.

Asparaguses Fri 01-Jul-11 20:31:03

Who'd be an MP? Loads of responsibility; no respect from a public and press that villify you; long hours; constant invasion of your time off by constituents who stop you on the street, in the shop, at the park with the kids; a very low salary compared to comparatively responsible jobs and now a leopard erosion of terms and conditions.

HHLimbo Fri 01-Jul-11 20:41:23

is a millionaire.

He'll be fine, and so will the other 20 millionaires in the cabinet (convenient that. They wont miss it if it does get passed).

Other MPs might actually need their pensions though.

TheFalcon Mon 04-Jul-11 11:57:07

MPs only have their jobs for 5 years at a time, unlike so many other parts of the public sector who effectively have jobs for life.

LaydeeC Mon 04-Jul-11 21:31:22

Oh please Falcon
how utterly boring and predictable - I'm surprised you haven't mentioned our gold plated pensions in the same breath.

pointythings Tue 05-Jul-11 21:33:57

Falcon,

In our public sector office we are all on rolling one-year contracts and could lose our jobs as soon as the government decides that mental health research isn't glamorous enough. Jobs for life are no longer the norm, they are the exception. Get real.

Everyone I know who works in the public sector has been made redundant at least once, myself included, so you can stop believing everything the Daily Fail says.

TheFalcon Tue 05-Jul-11 22:05:16

Most people in the private sector have been made redundant more than once. And a lot of people aren't entitled to any redunancy money. And yet it is we that pay for the public sector. Very wrong IMO.

pointythings Tue 05-Jul-11 22:14:11

Falcon, give me one good reason why we should all level down to the level of the private sector, where people slave for years on very low wages whilst company owners rake in massive wealth and award themselves truly diamond-plated pensions? Leaving aside what sector someone works in, who really needs over £200,000 to live on? And I'm not even going into tax avoidance here. Successive governments go on about wealth creation and the 'trickle down' effect - seems to me the money does not trickle down at all, it gets sucked up into the bank accounts of a very few. There's something wrong in an economy which has a minimum wage where people can work full time and still need their income topping up by the state because they don't earn enough to live on.

And as for redundancy rights - once people meet criteria, the private sector too has to pay redundancy, and many pay more than minimum requirements. I agree that some public sector redundancy deals are stupid and should be reformed, but you may not realise this - as a person on a rolling 1-year contract, I was not entitled to a penny of redundancy until I had been in post (had my contract renewed) 3 years/3 times. This is a longer qualifying period than in many private sector posts.

Lastly, I said 'at least once'. This does not imply in any way that the people I know have been made redundant only once - though I have, and believe me, I count myself fortunate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now